DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   brass threaded pipe for supply line to icemaker (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/132690-brass-threaded-pipe-supply-line-icemaker.html)

Speedy Jim November 24th 05 11:48 AM

brass threaded pipe for supply line to icemaker

jzink0883 wrote:

Kitchen recently remodeled. Cabinet installer ran 20-feet of soft
copper tubing from sink to refrigerator. Not enough slack behind
refrigerator. I don't like the path of the tubing. It could be pinched
or broken.

I should have had a new copper-pipe supply line run from the kitchen
sink to the refrigerator. Now, it would be very difficult to sweat a
rigid line in the back of the new cabinets.

The McMaster-Carr catalog lists red brass threaded pipe (schedule 40,
WWN-351a, ASTM B43-91) and red brass threaded fittings.

Is red-brass threaded pipe appropriate for a rigid line from the
kitchen sink to the wall behind the refrigerator?

Thanks,

Joel Zink

It may be appropriate but sure sounds like overkill.

You could run 1/2" Type L (5/8 OD) soft tube and use
compression fittings (or even flare) if soldering
is out of the question.
Could be smaller diam too since the flow to the fridg
is negligible.

Jim

Duane Bozarth November 24th 05 03:48 PM

jzink0883 wrote:

Kitchen recently remodeled. Cabinet installer ran 20-feet of soft
copper tubing from sink to refrigerator. Not enough slack behind
refrigerator. I don't like the path of the tubing. It could be pinched
or broken.

I should have had a new copper-pipe supply line run from the kitchen
sink to the refrigerator. Now, it would be very difficult to sweat a
rigid line in the back of the new cabinets.

The McMaster-Carr catalog lists red brass threaded pipe (schedule 40,
WWN-351a, ASTM B43-91) and red brass threaded fittings.

Is red-brass threaded pipe appropriate for a rigid line from the
kitchen sink to the wall behind the refrigerator?

It'll work, but if you can do it, why can't you do the regular copper?
Other than some heat shielding for the soldering, you'll still need
access so that wouldn't seem to be the limiting factor...

Alternatively, how/where is the existing tubing run? Can you not
protect it to the point of the junction behind the refrigerator and then
add some additional line there for the accessibility?

Duane Bozarth November 24th 05 04:23 PM

Duane Bozarth wrote:

jzink0883 wrote:

[...]

And, one could also sweat threaded fittings onto solid and assemble them
if one were so inclined...

As SpeedyJim notes, the brass pipe is _way_ overkill for the job.

[email protected] November 24th 05 07:43 PM

brass threaded pipe for supply line to icemaker

Ever hear of plastic tubing? It is flexible and durable.

Duane Bozarth November 24th 05 08:26 PM

wrote:

Ever hear of plastic tubing? It is flexible and durable.

I'm assuming if OP wasn't satisfied w/ flex copper he isn't going to be
satisfied w/ plastic tubing, either. :)

mm November 25th 05 01:06 AM

On 24 Nov 2005 11:43:43 -0800, wrote:

Ever hear of plastic tubing? It is flexible and durable.

Maybe vinyl?, or something, but the polyethylene? tubing that is very
often packaged with ice makers and humidifiers is NOT durable.

Even if installed with no sharp bends and away from any heat sources,
it can still spring leaks within a 2 or 3 years. I know at least two
cases, and I don't have many friends. :)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.