Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default What kind of tape do you recommend?

No tape will guarntee that

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default What kind of tape do you recommend? (rephrased)

Mastic; the kind of stuff used for photo work, etc.. GE Silicone
II will work, too. Peels off easy long's you pull it off slowly
& angled. If tape, or staples, wrap it around to sides of
molding where it's not easily visible. I've used "rope caul"
pretty successfully in the past, but don't leave on for more than
one season. There are mastic glues, too.

HTH

circe wrote in message
: I'd like to put a sheet of plastic over two drafty windows
for the
: winter but don't want to remove paintwork next spring along
with the
: tape and plastic. Clear or white would be preferable.
:
:
: No tape will guarntee that
:
: Okay then, does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach
plastic
: to wood semi-permanently without harming the wood?
:
: All I can think of is a stapler as the tiny holes wouldn't be
all that
: noticeable and could be easily painted over. Not in any hurry
to paint
: though. )-:

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Pop" wrote in message
et...
Mastic; the kind of stuff used for photo work, etc.. GE Silicone
II will work, too. Peels off easy long's you pull it off slowly
& angled. If tape, or staples, wrap it around to sides of
molding where it's not easily visible. I've used "rope caul"
pretty successfully in the past, but don't leave on for more than
one season. There are mastic glues, too.

Pop's post reminded me of something we used a lot in the past. He called it
rope caulk. Mortite (or something similar made it). It will allow you to
seal all the gaps where air may enter and if removed it the spring will not
stain or mar the surface in anyway.

A description would be a 1.25" inch ribbon formed into 4-5 separate strings.
The texture is similar to the modeling clay you played with as a child. You
use one or more stings to caulk the crack. It stays flexible and peels off
later. It used to be used a lot in mobile home construction to seal the
windows to the body.

As for your original post, the blue painter's tape is the most likely to
remove but after a few months I am not sure it would.

Colbyt