Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
tiny dancer

Default Home Depot Apologizes to Pencil Thief

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , tiny dancer

says...

"Don Priebe" wrote in message
. ..
Did you have one of those undercounter sinks installed with your new
countertop?

I went with the standard surface mount porcelain sink by american
standard, notice that the left bowl is 9" deep (and larger) and the
right one is 7" deep. With this faucet, 4 hole, chrome:

I have issues with those under counter types, that stuff will get in
between the counter and the sink, and leaks may develope and I don't
like the way it looks.

Just the opposite opinion! We did an undermount Blanco with a single

hole
Kohler faucet. We also pulled the sink cabinet forward 3" from the rest

of
the cabinets. It really looks sharp, and you can wipe the countertop

mess
directly into the sink

In this area (Syracuse) there are three companies that are actually in

the
granite business (have slabs of granite in their warehouse and the

necessary
machinery to finish them.) All the rest of the granite salesplaces
(including HD) order thru them. Granite allowed design freedom (a

twelve
inch unsupported overhang) and actually cost less than the man-made
alternatives (Corian, Silestone.)

Yea, I should have asked for the cutout piece from the sink just to

have
the
material in case we ever wanted to install a drop-in range. But I

didn't
think of it.
--
Don in Upstate NY

Thanks for your opinion. It's back to the drawing board for me on
sink/countertop choice. The only thing I know for sure is I want one

large
sink rather than the double sink. I want something I can fit very large
pots/pans into, like the turkey pan tomorrow. And I'd like a

brushed
nickle faucet. Here the granite appears to be quite a bit more expensive
than the other choices. I want to say it ran around 90 some dollars a
square foot. Where as the Corian I believe started in the forty dollar
range.

Ninety dollars a square foot for granite seems expensive.

Hmmm, after some indecision I went with a single, deep, stainless steel

sink.
Although I do like my current double. I have no question about going for

a deep
and stainless steel sink, but I was on the fence about single vs. double.

Went
with single mostly for placement reasons vs. available sizes, and that I

can use
stainless tubs as accessories as needed and actually having more

flexibility
(but these of course won't have a separate drain...). And, yes, that
occassional BIG pan.

Banty

I was leaning towards a porcelan sink but everyone is trying to talk me out
of it because it might chip. I have stainless now, double sink, but I
really don't like the look of the stainless. My cabinets will be a bright
white, the countertop if I go with the granite I chose, would be very dark
shades of blue. We are putting hardwoods on the floor and I want white
appliances. I just don't care for the stainless look. Seems like with the
appliances especially, they would be harder to keep clean what with kids and
dogs.

td

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Banty

In article , tiny dancer says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , tiny dancer

says...

"Don Priebe" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I understand about the stainless appliances (I'm going with black, myself), but
stainless steel for the sink goes quite well with both white and the blue
granite, and, well, it's the sink. Having an item like a sink in stainless,
even if it's the only thing, still "fits" because it's expected. If you know
what I mean.

Banty