Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Cathedral ceiling or 2nd floor unused room

We want to add on to our antique farmhouse. We would like to do a 24x24
1st floor addition. Much of this space will be family room, but should
it have a cathedral ceiling or traditional ceiling with unfinished
space above it?

Our debate is whether we should do just a cathedral ceiling over that
family room, or make the ceiling normal and then add a bonus room over
that, which would tie into the existing 2nd floor.

We know it would be more to do the 2 floors, but does anyone know about
how much more?

Part of the reason for cathedral ceiling is asthetic. But also, it is
to save money on framing for a potential 2nd room above the family
room. We would go ahead and spend the extra money to have the bonus
room only if the price differential is small. If cathedral option saves
big $, we'll opt for that.

[Also, as far as resale value goes, does anyone know whether it would
be more desirable to have that bonus room and regular family room
ceiling, versus just the family room with cathedral ceiling?]

Would appreciate any feedback you might have! Thanks.