Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default How permanent is silicon sealant on corian and metal?

I am making a router table out of corian, oak, and a magnesium router base.
I was originally going to glue everything together with epoxy, but now have
decided that if I ever need to change the base I would regret having to
build a whole new table. So I going to screw the table top to the frame,
and hang the router by rods through the holes the edge guides go through. I
would still like to use glue to get everything tight, yet some that can be
ripped apart if I ever have to. Would Silicon sealant meet that
requirement? If it is too permanent, any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Toller" wrote in message
I am making a router table out of corian, oak, and a magnesium router base.
I was originally going to glue everything together with epoxy, but now
have decided that if I ever need to change the base I would regret having
to build a whole new table. So I going to screw the table top to the
frame, and hang the router by rods through the holes the edge guides go
through. I would still like to use glue to get everything tight, yet some
that can be ripped apart if I ever have to. Would Silicon sealant meet
that requirement? If it is too permanent, any suggestions?

yes, although it might be too good a glue. depends upon how thick a bead and
the thickness of the edges of the pieces you're joining. you need to get a
thin blade (razor) to cut it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rider89

Silicon caulk would probably work pretty well, especially regarding removing
it.
It is easy to remove from a non-porous surface.
In fact, if there's any shifting/vibration of the surfaces, it might even
let go.

If you wanted a bit more adhesive strength, you could go with
a polyurethane caulk instead. Still removeable but a stronger bond.

bill

"Toller" wrote in message
I am making a router table out of corian, oak, and a magnesium router base.
I was originally going to glue everything together with epoxy, but now
have decided that if I ever need to change the base I would regret having
to build a whole new table. So I going to screw the table top to the
frame, and hang the router by rods through the holes the edge guides go
through. I would still like to use glue to get everything tight, yet some
that can be ripped apart if I ever have to. Would Silicon sealant meet
that requirement? If it is too permanent, any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"rider89" wrote in message
om...
Silicon caulk would probably work pretty well, especially regarding
removing it.
It is easy to remove from a non-porous surface.
In fact, if there's any shifting/vibration of the surfaces, it might even
let go.

If you wanted a bit more adhesive strength, you could go with
a polyurethane caulk instead. Still removeable but a stronger bond.

Sounds good. Everything will be held together with screws and dowels; I
just want the caulk to damp any movement.
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"Toller" wrote in message

"rider89" wrote in message
om...
Silicon caulk would probably work pretty well, especially regarding
removing it.
It is easy to remove from a non-porous surface.
In fact, if there's any shifting/vibration of the surfaces, it might

even
let go.

If you wanted a bit more adhesive strength, you could go with
a polyurethane caulk instead. Still removeable but a stronger bond.

Sounds good. Everything will be held together with screws and dowels; I
just want the caulk to damp any movement.
thanks

For something like this I would use "Pheno-Seal" an adhesive caulk.
Fantastic product tha can be used for a large multitude of applications.
Home Depot and Lowes got it.
MLD