yourname

Default Spray Foam Insulation: dissappointed

just a note, I had a company come in a spray over 1000 sq ft of floor
with a spray urethane product and i have to say I am greatly
dissappointed. The strength of the product is supposed to be the tight
seal and complete insulation vs fiberglas. Well, it would be good if the
installers understood this. Spraying up into a floor is no doubt
difficult, but they just did not understand the concepts. I had to show
them spots were I could still see the floor from underneath. Umm, that
would be R zero. I am going around with many cans of spray foam filling
in all the gaps, holes and voids at a rate of around one can per 60
square feet. That only includes the spots I can see, voids in the middle
are invisible.

I have no idea what advise to give, although this contractor was
slightly cheaper than a competitor[a few hundred for a multi thousand
dollar install] it was scheduling and terms that made me choose him. The
comptition was a month out and wanted a 50 percent advance deposit, no
credit cards. Sorry, I am not going to write a check to someone that may
be will show up in a month.

I guess I can say this, if you have good attention to detail, ask to see
a job that is the same type of install as yours. I cannot say references
would be useful, since most people would not know what they are looking
at[i probably wouldn't have]

In hindsight I would stick with fiberglas. My issue is rodents, and upon
removing the old glas, I found that it was only the outermost 1/3to 1/4
that was affected and I would have intalled foam board and more
fiberglas and repeated every few years for much less money.

I just wish I had a real solution to offer. It is a good product. The
installer was recommended by the distributor. He was polite, sincere and
affable. He actually came out to survey the job[others phone quoted
and wanted a check pronto] He is just ill trained in the product.

In the end stick with fiberglas.

Sigh
m Ransley

Why did you pay him and waste your time fixing a poor job, thats your
fault, not the foams. Go foam its superior.

Retiredff

yourname wrote:
just a note, I had a company come in a spray over 1000 sq ft of floor
with a spray urethane product and i have to say I am greatly
dissappointed. The strength of the product is supposed to be the tight
seal and complete insulation vs fiberglas. Well, it would be good if
the installers understood this. Spraying up into a floor is no doubt
difficult, but they just did not understand the concepts. I had to
show them spots were I could still see the floor from underneath.
Umm, that would be R zero. I am going around with many cans of spray
foam filling in all the gaps, holes and voids at a rate of around one
can per 60 square feet. That only includes the spots I can see, voids
in the middle are invisible.

Seems like your subject line should be 'Spray Foam Insulation Contractor:
dissappointed'.

yourname wrote:
[...]

Maybe the guy hasn't handled the stuff much yet? (Or at least, the gang
he sent over). You might let him know you're displeased and he may even
do something to make you happy; sounds like he was at least somewhat
interested, beforehand.

EXT

Spray foam won't help against rodents, they will tunnel through it like it
was candy, especially if fiberglas didn't give them any problems. You should
have sealed all possible entrie points with sturdy wire mesh or small mesh
hardware cloth then foamed over it. Don't use fly screen as they can get
through it easily.