John Keith

Default assembling seam on 3" x 6' sheet metal vent pipe

What is the proper technique for assembling the seam of a 3" x 6'
sheet metal vent pipe? I'm assuming you start by inserting the lip at
one end into the slot and then work your way down the length, but that
simple description does not begin to be easily accomplished in
practice. Is there some additional technique I need to know about, or
a tool that helps?I've also tried rolling the tube into a tighter
radius but that is not easily accomplished either.

John Keith

Colbyt

"John Keith" wrote in message
What is the proper technique for assembling the seam of a 3" x 6'
sheet metal vent pipe? I'm assuming you start by inserting the lip at
one end into the slot and then work your way down the length, but that
simple description does not begin to be easily accomplished in
practice. Is there some additional technique I need to know about, or
a tool that helps?I've also tried rolling the tube into a tighter
radius but that is not easily accomplished either.

John Keith

Three inch is the hardest of the lot because it is the smallest.

Get the pipe on a flat surface seam side up with the receiver side away from
your body. Your hands should be in the middle of the 6' length, 18-24"
apart. Insert the lip of the pipe into the flange, making sure that the
entire length is inserted then you have to press down gently and it will pop
in. When you are pressing down gently you are converting a circle to the top
of an apple shape (when viewed from the side perspective).

If the ends are not aligned just stand the pipe on one end and use a hammer
and block of wood to align the ends.

I hope you can follow that. It is easy after the first time. But darned
hard to write an adequate description.

Colbyt

Plumbing vent pipe leak!! G Home Repair 0 October 26th 05 02:36 PM
question jr Metalworking 17 August 30th 05 01:37 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM