jaynews

Default Vertical wood siding - where is caulking needed?

My building has vertically oriented wood siding. I was wondering where
caulk is needed.

For example:

1) If there are visible vertical gaps between the vertical wood boards, do
these need to be caulked to prevent water from getting behind the siding?

2) What about horizontal seams (gaps) in vertical wood boards do these gaps
require caulk or not?

3) What about where a vertical wood board is next to the wood trim at the
corner of the building. Should this gap be caulked too.
Questions about HORIZONTAL wood siding: (Some of the building has
horizontal wood siding.)

1) Do vertical seams between horizontal boards need caulking?

2) Do vertical gaps where horizontal wood siding meets the trim at corner of
building require caulk?

Jeff

C & M

--------------------
Questions about HORIZONTAL wood siding: (Some of the building has
horizontal wood siding.)

1) Do vertical seams between horizontal boards need caulking?

Nope! The lap joint is enough. Besides you need a little air to prevent
condensation.

2) Do vertical gaps where horizontal wood siding meets the trim at corner

of
building require caulk?

NOpe. There is a corner treatment for this. It's 'L' shaped but the legs
are equal length.

Jeff

jaynews

Ok, thanks, but still wondering about VERTICAL siding in which vertical
boards are installed side by side. (NOT overlapped)

Do the gaps between vertical boards need caulk?

Do any horizontal gaps in segments of vertical boards require caulk?

Is the answer still "no" with regard to caulking the gap between the corner
piece and a VERTICAL board?

Thanks,

jaynews

Do the gaps between vertical boards need caulk?

I mean vertical gaps between vertical boards.