Doug Kanter

Default Weak screen door pneumatics

I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that are
supposed to hold it open. They don't. With both clips in place, the door
begins closing precisely when I'm in the middle of hauling something large
through the doorway, and don't have hands free to deal with the door. Do
these things simply wear out, or is there a way to adjust them?

Roger Taylor

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that are
supposed to hold it open. They don't. With both clips in place, the door
begins closing precisely when I'm in the middle of hauling something large
through the doorway, and don't have hands free to deal with the door. Do
these things simply wear out, or is there a way to adjust them?

The clips may be upside down, or there is oil on the piston rod. Usually,
the stay clips work ok, once set. You may need to lower the spring tension
on the door. Some units are adjustable, others you have to reposition the
rod attachment, or the piston. The units are often faulty, or poorly
engineered - I have the same problem with some of mine. There is also a
small screw on the piston that adjusts the door closing rate.

Doug Kanter

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
news
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that are
supposed to hold it open. They don't. With both clips in place, the door
begins closing precisely when I'm in the middle of hauling something large
through the doorway, and don't have hands free to deal with the door. Do
these things simply wear out, or is there a way to adjust them?

The clips may be upside down, or there is oil on the piston rod. Usually,
the stay clips work ok, once set. You may need to lower the spring
tension on the door. Some units are adjustable, others you have to
reposition the rod attachment, or the piston. The units are often faulty,
or poorly engineered - I have the same problem with some of mine. There is
also a small screw on the piston that adjusts the door closing rate.

Just what I need. Another project. I think I'll just use a cinder block to
hold the door open, and deal with the real problem in the spring. Maybe.

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

You might try just roughening up the rods with a file or sharp rock or
something; just do the portion where you want the latch to grab.

Doug Kanter

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Hey....good idea. Thanks.

C & M

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that are
supposed to hold it open.

snip

You might try just roughening up the rods with a file or sharp rock or
something; just do the portion where you want the latch to grab.

Hey....good idea. Thanks.

Before you do that take a look at another door where the mechanism works.
Do
your hold-open tabs seem to be facing the right way? The little bent over
portion
of the tab should face the cylinder so that the pressure of the cylinder
against it
causes it to tip a bit and bind. It's a cleverly simple 'pinch' mechanism.

Doug Kanter

"C & M" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that
are
supposed to hold it open.

snip

You might try just roughening up the rods with a file or sharp rock or
something; just do the portion where you want the latch to grab.

Hey....good idea. Thanks.

Before you do that take a look at another door where the mechanism works.
Do
your hold-open tabs seem to be facing the right way? The little bent over
portion
of the tab should face the cylinder so that the pressure of the cylinder
against it
causes it to tip a bit and bind. It's a cleverly simple 'pinch'
mechanism.

Doesn't matter which way I face them.

Tom Duller

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

"C & M" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that
are
supposed to hold it open.

snip

You might try just roughening up the rods with a file or sharp rock or
something; just do the portion where you want the latch to grab.

Hey....good idea. Thanks.

Before you do that take a look at another door where the mechanism works.
Do
your hold-open tabs seem to be facing the right way? The little bent over
portion
of the tab should face the cylinder so that the pressure of the cylinder
against it
causes it to tip a bit and bind. It's a cleverly simple 'pinch'
mechanism.

Doesn't matter which way I face them.

Stick a coin (a quarter works for me) between the tab and tube. It works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
New & Improved - N/F John

Doug Kanter wrote:
I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that

are
supposed to hold it open.

snip

You might try just roughening up the rods with a file or sharp rock or
something; just do the portion where you want the latch to grab.

Hey....good idea. Thanks.

Before you do that take a look at another door where the mechanism works.
Do
your hold-open tabs seem to be facing the right way? The little bent over
portion
of the tab should face the cylinder so that the pressure of the cylinder
against it
causes it to tip a bit and bind. It's a cleverly simple 'pinch'

mechanism.

Yeah, there has to be simple effective fix. Study a neighbors door that
works right and the look at yours. These parts are rather cheap any way.
Go to the store and look at how they are installed and see if yours is
correct.