Default Dryer Problem

I have a GE dryer and have a problem. Everything works on the dryer
except that it doesn't produce any heat to dry the clothes. Is there
something I could check and maybe fix myself?

Stretch

Do you know how to use an electrical test meter? If yes, check the
thermostats and the heater elements, if it is electric. If it is gas,
check the thermostat and also the electric part of te gas valve. If
you don't know how to use testers, then you need to call someone who
does.

You may look for a reset button and press it, it may have one in the
control compartment. If your dryer is propane check to see if there is
propane in your tank.

Not enough information given for a good answer.

Stretch

Patrick Cleburne

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you know how to use an electrical test meter? If yes, check the
thermostats and the heater elements, if it is electric. If it is gas,
check the thermostat and also the electric part of te gas valve. If
you don't know how to use testers, then you need to call someone who
does.

You may look for a reset button and press it, it may have one in the
control compartment. If your dryer is propane check to see if there is
propane in your tank.

Not enough information given for a good answer.

Stretch

....but before you do anything, make sure the controls are set to a "heat"
rather just an air fluff setting......

Patrick

This happened to me one time on an older electric dryer. I was told it
was the heating element, so I promptly went to an appliance dealer and
bought one and then ended up calling a repairman. Turned out that the
problem was at my breaker box and not in the element. One of the
breakers had come "unseated" and so I was only getting 110V to the
dryer instead of 220V. Hence, the dryer would spin and such, but no
generate no heat.

Thanks for the info. My dryer is electric. Where would I be looking
for the thermostat and reset buttons.

Being that this is an old dryer am I just better off getting a new one
then getting a repairman to fix it?

Rich

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info. My dryer is electric. Where would I be looking
for the thermostat and reset buttons.

Being that this is an old dryer am I just better off getting a new one
then getting a repairman to fix it?

Try to fix it your self first. There are appliance repair sites on the web
http://www.repairclinic.com/ is one of the better ones to start with.

If you need to call in a repair man call a few to get opinions about
repairing with there service calls and all added in and then you can do the
math.

Rich

MasterBlaster

wrote

Thanks for the info. My dryer is electric. Where would I be looking
for the thermostat and reset buttons.

Being that this is an old dryer am I just better off getting a new one
then getting a repairman to fix it?

How old? Mom's old Maytag had the heating element in a circle all the
way around the front opening. I could just see it if I pulled the front of
the case out a bit and was at just the right angle. As she had renters
who had access to the machines, occasionally a forgotten coin would
come out of a pocket and make it through the little gap and short-circuit
the element against the case, burning it out. I replaced it myself a couple
of times before we figured out why and how it was blowing.

Stormin Mormon

If you're very good with tools, you can dissemble the dryer and check the
thermal overloads.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a GE dryer and have a problem. Everything works on the dryer
except that it doesn't produce any heat to dry the clothes. Is there
something I could check and maybe fix myself?

I would like to start by trying to use the reset button before I pull
the whole thing apart. Where would I find the reset button?

Muvin Gruvin

purchased a new GE washer n dryer couple years ago and it is a POS=
piece of chit. If I could afford to get rid of them I would.

Let's try again. Where do I find the reset button on the dryer??

Stretch

I don't know. My old one had automatic reset limits. Some may have
manual ones. Take the back cover off and look there. Look for little
red buttons and press them.

Stretch