pergurd

Default Paint prices ?????

WTF is going on with the price of paint? I realize it had been a while since
I last bought paint but when I went to my Sherwin Williams dealer this
weekend I got sticker shock.
~$40 for Luxon primer and ~$30 for SuperPaint interior latex. and both were
on sale. Am I missing something. Maybe the big box stores paint isn't all
that bad after all.
Doug

tom

Just paid $75 for 5 gallons of flat white latex at Dunn-Edwards. And
no, the "big box" stores' paint _is_ that bad. Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"pergurd" wrote in message
WTF is going on with the price of paint? I realize it had been a while
since I last bought paint but when I went to my Sherwin Williams dealer
this weekend I got sticker shock.
~$40 for Luxon primer and ~$30 for SuperPaint interior latex. and both
were on sale. Am I missing something. Maybe the big box stores paint isn't
all that bad after all.
Doug

It is not just paint. IMO, we are headed for a lot of inflation in the next
year or so as prices increase due to the price of oil. Latex paint has oil
derivatives as part of its ingredients. The price of steel and plastic for
cans had jumped a lot in the past year. Transporting the paint from factory
to dealer has gone up about 27% based on current fuel surcharges on the
bills.

I've been in a specific part of the plastic molding industry for 35 years.
For the first time, we, as an industry, will be adding surcharges due to the
price of natural gas (used to make steam) this coming winter. This is in
addition to the cost of raw material doubling in the past 18 months.
Polyethylene bags that I used to buy for 52¢ are now 75¢ (minimum order
7200). Plastic pallet wrap went from $29 a roll to $52. The list just gets
longer every day.

dadiOH

pergurd wrote:
WTF is going on with the price of paint? I realize it had been a
while since I last bought paint but when I went to my Sherwin
Williams dealer this weekend I got sticker shock.
~$40 for Luxon primer and ~$30 for SuperPaint interior latex. and
both were on sale. Am I missing something. Maybe the big box stores
paint isn't all that bad after all.
Doug

Keep in mind that those are 2005 dollars - each worth about a dime
thanks to the government.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Art

A landscaper friend just told be the 6 inch black hose used in waterproofing
projects just doubled in price.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"pergurd" wrote in message
[...]

Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 02:35 PM