DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made.... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/128310-looking-chain-saw-sharpener-italian-made.html)

dean November 7th 05 06:32 PM

Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

An electric chainsaw sharpener. I was recommended one from a tree guy,
he told me it cost around $300 and works very well (His chains were
very sharp indeed!)

Anyone know the brand name of this machine?

Thanks!

Dean

Charlie Bress November 7th 05 06:44 PM

Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

This was too easy. Thanks Google.

http://zacm.com/chainsaw/grinder.htm

Charlie

oups.com...

[email protected] November 7th 05 07:36 PM

Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

Might make sense for professional, who's going to sharpen chain off the
bar. Lots of chains.

For home use, this file-guide has worked great for me for ~25 yrs-
http://www.right-tool.com/right-tool/filenjoint.html. Fringe-benefits:
works out in the woods, is not inclined to removing significant
fraction of cutter, and works on mounted chain (for lack of better
phrase.)

dean November 7th 05 08:32 PM

Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

Charlie - is that the Italian one?

J - I have a files, I use them all the time. Problem is when I hit a
metal object buried within a tree, its a LOT of work to file it down to
sharp again after that. And to be honest, the chains I looked at this
weekend from this guy with the machine, they were much much sharper
than I can get them with a file.

Jim McLaughlin November 7th 05 09:32 PM

Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

I have fond that aDremel tool works real well with the correct diameter
grinder. My chains lke 5/32".

If you want to use it in the woods, get one of the rechargeable / battery
powered Dremel type tools.

Me, I just always go to the woods with 3 extra chains, pre sharpened at the
workbench before I left.

For me, much quicker and easier to change out a chain on site than go
through thechassle of sharpening a mounted chain.

YMMV.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
ups.com...

George E. Cawthon November 8th 05 02:36 AM

dean wrote:
An electric chainsaw sharpener. I was recommended one from a tree guy,
he told me it cost around $300 and works very well (His chains were
very sharp indeed!)

Anyone know the brand name of this machine?

Thanks!

Dean

for $300 it should work well, are you planning on
going into the chainsaw sharpening business? That
what a $300 machine is for. Do you have any idea
how many chains you can buy for $300. Minimum of
20. How about $250 worth of bulk chain and $50
worth of tools for about 40 changes.

Instead of a $300 chain sharpener, just throw away
the dull one and buy a new one. Or, you could be
economical and buy a $50-$60 motorized sharpener
for the homeowner or spend $12 for a hand operated
sharpener or $5 for the guide that fits on a file.

dean November 8th 05 02:37 PM

Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

Why should I not buy one? You think I'm going to throw away chains
after they are blunt?

The point is, I do sharpen then in the field, but the wheel does a
better job. Especially if one hits a steel rebar or a SS spoon or
something else that beats the F out of the chain.