dean

Default Looking for this chain saw sharpener - Italian made....

An electric chainsaw sharpener. I was recommended one from a tree guy,
he told me it cost around $300 and works very well (His chains were
very sharp indeed!)

Anyone know the brand name of this machine?

Thanks!

Dean

Might make sense for professional, who's going to sharpen chain off the
bar. Lots of chains.

For home use, this file-guide has worked great for me for ~25 yrs-
http://www.right-tool.com/right-tool/filenjoint.html. Fringe-benefits:
works out in the woods, is not inclined to removing significant
fraction of cutter, and works on mounted chain (for lack of better
phrase.)

dean

Charlie - is that the Italian one?

J - I have a files, I use them all the time. Problem is when I hit a
metal object buried within a tree, its a LOT of work to file it down to
sharp again after that. And to be honest, the chains I looked at this
weekend from this guy with the machine, they were much much sharper
than I can get them with a file.

Jim McLaughlin

I have fond that aDremel tool works real well with the correct diameter
grinder. My chains lke 5/32".

If you want to use it in the woods, get one of the rechargeable / battery
powered Dremel type tools.

Me, I just always go to the woods with 3 extra chains, pre sharpened at the
workbench before I left.

For me, much quicker and easier to change out a chain on site than go
through thechassle of sharpening a mounted chain.

YMMV.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Charlie - is that the Italian one?

J - I have a files, I use them all the time. Problem is when I hit a
metal object buried within a tree, its a LOT of work to file it down to
sharp again after that. And to be honest, the chains I looked at this
weekend from this guy with the machine, they were much much sharper
than I can get them with a file.

George E. Cawthon

dean wrote:
An electric chainsaw sharpener. I was recommended one from a tree guy,
he told me it cost around $300 and works very well (His chains were
very sharp indeed!)

Anyone know the brand name of this machine?

Thanks!

Dean

for $300 it should work well, are you planning on
going into the chainsaw sharpening business? That
what a $300 machine is for. Do you have any idea
how many chains you can buy for $300. Minimum of
20. How about $250 worth of bulk chain and $50
worth of tools for about 40 changes.

Instead of a $300 chain sharpener, just throw away
the dull one and buy a new one. Or, you could be
economical and buy a $50-$60 motorized sharpener
for the homeowner or spend $12 for a hand operated
sharpener or $5 for the guide that fits on a file.
dean

Why should I not buy one? You think I'm going to throw away chains
after they are blunt?

The point is, I do sharpen then in the field, but the wheel does a
better job. Especially if one hits a steel rebar or a SS spoon or
something else that beats the F out of the chain.

Chain Saw Bar Wear Jonathan Goodish Home Repair 34 January 22nd 05 11:36 PM
Chain Saw Bar Wear Jonathan Goodish Woodworking 36 January 22nd 05 11:36 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Do ALL chains say "do not use for lifting" RainLover Metalworking 22 March 29th 04 07:50 PM