Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Art

Default Big jump in electric bill

Here's the situation. I live in a house that normally has about a $180-200
a month electric bill during the summer heat. In September, when we shut
off the air, it dropped to about $130. October's bill came and it was $242!
Called the elctric company and they verified that yes, we had used that many
kwh. After discussing it the only thing the wife and me could figure out is
I was on the road alot during September so the wife had less laundry and
dishes to do. She also ate out more (electric range).

Here's my question. Can the increase in hot water cause a jump this
drastic? Also, our ice-maker in the fridge is making a funny sound (a
whirring motor sound) alot. Could a malfunctioning ice-maker cause the
jump?

If it's the hot water heater we are willing to get a new gas one (our house
is fitted for both gas and electric). Gas is cheaper than electric in our
area right now. But we don't want to get a new heater if it's something
else causing the jump.

Any opinions are welcome.

Art
"This is the earliest I've ever been late by." - Yogi Berra

240V vs. 120V electric baseboard heat? GFCI? hydronic? Paul Home Repair 21 April 16th 16 12:53 PM
Why is my gas bill so high? Ideas? [email protected] Home Repair 22 September 2nd 05 04:06 PM
High Electric Bill (Problems?) Chuck Conner Home Repair 23 February 25th 05 05:19 AM
Electric Bill Dave UK diy 7 February 18th 05 10:54 AM
Pressure Washers, Electric, Karcher Bob Gir. Home Repair 8 July 7th 04 03:04 PM