Timo

Default who makes this kind of skylight?

Ten or fifteen years ago, I remember seeing ads for a special skylight
that was connected to a flexible, highly reflective cylindrical tube, to
carry light through the attic down to a room below:

\
...\
....\
A...\
T... |
T....|T|\
I....|U| \
C....|B| \
......|E| \
----- --- \

ROOM

____________

I would be grateful for the names of companies who make this type of
skylight.

Thanks
Timo
tom

Check out "Solatube". Tom

Timo

Exactly!
Thanks
Timo

Check out "Solatube". Tom

HotRod

Home Depot carries it.

"Timo" wrote in message
. ..
Ten or fifteen years ago, I remember seeing ads for a special skylight
that was connected to a flexible, highly reflective cylindrical tube, to
carry light through the attic down to a room below:

\
..\
...\
A...\
T... |
T....|T|\
I....|U| \
C....|B| \
.....|E| \
----- --- \

ROOM

____________

I would be grateful for the names of companies who make this type of
skylight.

Thanks
Timo

Todd H.

Timo writes:
Ten or fifteen years ago, I remember seeing ads for a special skylight
that was connected to a flexible, highly reflective cylindrical tube,
to carry light through the attic down to a room below:

\
..\
...\
A...\
T... |
T....|T|\
I....|U| \
C....|B| \
.....|E| \
----- --- \

ROOM

____________

I would be grateful for the names of companies who make this type of
skylight.

FWIW, last time I was in Home Depot I saw a display of several flavors
of those types of light pipes in a pretty prominent location.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

PipeDown

But that one is called Sun Tunnel and they have 2 sizes

"HotRod" wrote in message
Home Depot carries it.

"Timo" wrote in message
. ..
Ten or fifteen years ago, I remember seeing ads for a special skylight
that was connected to a flexible, highly reflective cylindrical tube, to
carry light through the attic down to a room below:

\
..\
...\
A...\
T... |
T....|T|\
I....|U| \
C....|B| \
.....|E| \
----- --- \

ROOM

____________

I would be grateful for the names of companies who make this type of
skylight.

Thanks
Timo

MiamiCuse

How much light can it really carry down?

Gary Dyrkacz

On 4 Nov 2005 13:19:28 -0800, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

How much light can it really carry down?

Although the amount of light can be found on the web sites for these
skylights, there is a subjective quality to the amount of light. We
have two 10" solatubes. One is installed in a windowless bathroom. It
made a dramatic change in the light level. No additional lighting is
needed on a sunny day. Even a bright clooudy day produces acceptable
lighting.

The second Solatube is over an island in an interior kitchen. (All
work surfaces are at least 12 feet from any windows.) The adjacent
eating/sitting area has eight 6' x 2' windows and a patio door facing
south. Although the Solatube did improve the light over the counter,
it was not nearly as dramatic as in the bathroom. There is still quite
a bit of light streaming into the area from the eating area windows.
In this case, if I had to do it over again, I would say the 10"
skylight was not worth for this case. The larger 14" might have been
the better choice here.

If you do a Google search you will see similar comments. I believe
that one of the manufacturers brings this out as well.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/