Steve IA

Default Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

Barry wrote:

Greetings All!

Just got an empty 55 gal. drum from a local eatery that held vegetable
oil. I'd like to use it as a burn barrel,

For a better burning barrel, cut *both* ends out in a manner suggested by
others. Set the remaining cylinder on a grate (the heavier the better)
supported by concrete blocks or such. This will allow more air to get to
your fire providing more complete combustion and less ashes.

Steve
41N

Steve IA wrote:

Just got an empty 55 gal. drum from a local eatery that held vegetable
oil. I'd like to use it as a burn barrel,

For a better burning barrel, cut *both* ends out in a manner suggested by
others. Set the remaining cylinder on a grate (the heavier the better)...

Sounds better. One of my neighbors made a "grate" by pushing several rebars
through holes near the bottom. A bottomless drum on a concrete block U
would get lots of airflow, and it would be easy to shovel ashes out.

Nick

It's amazing to me that at a time when we are all paying big bucks to
try to clean the air, there are still places that allow this kind of
burning to go on. How many cars do you think it takes to equal the
pollution put out by one trash burning drum?