Default Hot Tub Electrical Question

Is it better to run a GFI pony panel off a 40 amp breaker or can I hook
the Hot tub electrical wiring directly into the main panel GFI breaker.

Thanks

RBM

If the tub is located far from the service panel, I prefer to install a gfci
closer to the panel
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it better to run a GFI pony panel off a 40 amp breaker or can I hook
the Hot tub electrical wiring directly into the main panel GFI breaker.

Thanks

tom

In my area, and probably yours, code requires that the box must be
within sight of the hot tub, but no closer than five feet. Tom

Beachcomber

On 1 Nov 2005 21:15:37 -0800, "tom" wrote:

In my area, and probably yours, code requires that the box must be
within sight of the hot tub, but no closer than five feet. Tom

Also, there are only a few GFCI's that meet the code for hot tub
installs. Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.sea.siemens.com/reselec/product/rzgfci.html

Beachcomber

Mark

do the job right...

it can be important in a hot tub...

see:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/31/pas....ap/index.html

Mark

"In my area, and probably yours, code requires that the box must be
within sight of the hot tub, but no closer than five feet. Tom "

What code requires that the GFCI be within sight of the hot tub? I
know code requires that a means of disconnect must be within a max
distance, but I've never seen anything that says the GFCI has to be
there.

I received my answer from an Electrician for the province of Quebec
Canada. New bylaws say that it is mandatory to have another panel on
the outside of the house that contains the GFI. With this, you need a
separate ground connected from the main groung to the motor ground.

Thanks for all replies.