Joe

Default Water softener installation - drain line

Hi There,

I am trying to have a water softener installed. I got a quote of about
$1K to install, mainly due to the drain line. While I don't know how
much the going rate for installing a water softener (San Jose, CA), I
felt the estimate of more than 60' drain line is a potential problem.
This line essentially routes along my whole garage and end in an
outside sewer tap in.

I saw some neighbors installed the softener drain line that dumps water
onto the plants or even just the driveway. Is it OK? I do have a rain
gutter pipe close by. Can I tap into that?

Thanks,
Joe.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe" wrote in message
I saw some neighbors installed the softener drain line that dumps water
onto the plants or even just the driveway. Is it OK?

Your nighbors are idiots. You don't want the brine rinse duming on the
ground.

I do have a rain
gutter pipe close by. Can I tap into that?

Depends, where does it go?

Joe

The gutter goes to the street, where water goes along side the curb and
get into the street drain about 100 feet.

Thanks again,
Joe.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
The gutter goes to the street, where water goes along side the curb and
get into the street drain about 100 feet.

The neighbors and/or the EPA will be at your door if you drain there.

Joe

How about the long route to the sewer? It seems like that's the only
option? Any other opinion?

Joe

BTW, what if I use potassium for the softener? Will it allow me to use
the drained water on plants?

Thanks,
Joe.

Gary Slusser

You should use PE tubing in one piece and use 3/4" if you are going
over 30' or, the softener's DLFC (drain line flow control) can be
increased accordingly.

You don't want the discharge water on/in the ground regardless of what
you regenerate with; sodium or potassium chloride.

Gary
Quality Water Associates