stoli

Default bath tub drain

My bath tub drain constantly clogs up and I constantly use the plunger
on it. Notethe tub is used for showers 100% of the time) After I use
the plunger in the bath tub, it drains perfectly for about 3 or 4
weeks.
Do you think its a hair and soap build-up?..If it is, how can I clear
that up...thanks!

jappy

Are you using a screen in your drain to stop hair etc from going in?
Secondly, check your trap...does it have a cleanout on it? If so
remove the cleanout plug and clean your trap out.

On 30 Oct 2005 15:29:32 -0800, "stoli" wrote:

My bath tub drain constantly clogs up and I constantly use the plunger
on it. Notethe tub is used for showers 100% of the time) After I use
the plunger in the bath tub, it drains perfectly for about 3 or 4
weeks.
Do you think its a hair and soap build-up?..If it is, how can I clear
that up...thanks!

stoli

yes I am using a screen.
I am unable to access the trap, and I am assuming you mean that nut at
the elbow.

what else can I do?

I have a similiar problem in my house. What I plan on doing is adding
an access door to my dingin room ceiling so I can remove the trap, then
auger out the drain line properly from there with the trap removed. In
my case augering out the drain from the overflow pipe has proven to be
too problematic due to the number of 90 degree turns in quick
succession, and I am guessing that augering with a removed trap should
work much better. Once you get it augered out real good you should be
able to use chemicals on a regular basis with myabe only augering it
out once every year or so.

John J. Stewart

I guess I missed the part where you removed the stopper. The in-place
stoppers (non-rubber) are the main place for hair collection. If you don't
remove it, you can't properly clean it. The problem is that their removal
is not very intuitive. I have had two types of in-place stoppers:

1. One is when you lift the stopper and turn to make it stay open. If you
look under the stopper, you will see a Phillips screw. This seems to be the
way to remove the stopper, but it's not how you do it. You simply turn the
stopper in the raised position without unscrewing it. With this method, it
unscrews at the base of the stem that hold the stopper. Once you take it
out, you can then access the Phillips screw, but there is no reason to do
so, since you have the stopper out.

2. Another type is more recent. There is a little cap on top of the
stopper. Unscrew the little cap from the top of the stopper. It will
reveal a Phillips screw. Unscrew it and the stopper comes out.

Once the stopper is out of the way, plungers and any other method works
great. With the stopper out, you can clean it with your toothbrush if you
want to.

John Stewart

oups.com...