Bryan

Default Hot Tub Ants

I've got ants!

Northern California black ants. The kind that invade whenever the weather
get really hot or really wet. The kind that ignore food. They're looking
for something (aren't we all), but it's not food. Maybe the weather changes
disrupt their homes (like earthquakes on ant-scale).

Anyway, lately they've been swarming the top edges of the hot tub. The hot
tub sits on a gravel bed surrounded by a wood frame with dirt or grass.
It's going to foggy with occasional periods of rain until next summer. What
do you think my best ant-kill and return-prevention options are?

John Grabowski

"Bryan" wrote in message
m...
I've got ants!

Northern California black ants. The kind that invade whenever the weather
get really hot or really wet. The kind that ignore food. They're looking
for something (aren't we all), but it's not food. Maybe the weather

changes
disrupt their homes (like earthquakes on ant-scale).

Anyway, lately they've been swarming the top edges of the hot tub. The

hot
tub sits on a gravel bed surrounded by a wood frame with dirt or grass.
It's going to foggy with occasional periods of rain until next summer.

What
do you think my best ant-kill and return-prevention options are?

Calling an exterminator who should have the ants identified by an
entomologist. That way a treatment for those specific ants can be
prescribed and applied.

CWLee

"Bryan" wrote:

... lately they've been swarming the top edges of the hot
tub. ... What do you think my best ant-kill and return-
prevention options are?

I used to have a similar problem here in Southern
California. Once a month I use a grocery store purchased
brand of ant spray around the bottom of the hot tub, about 6
inches up from the ground. The ants have to pass that area
to get to the top. So far that has worked for me. If I go
much past a 1-month interval they return, so you might have
to experiment with different spray intervals and brands of
ant spray.

Please report back the results of whatever you do, so others
can learn from your experience.

--
----------
CWLee

Patrick Cleburne

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
[...]

....or if you're not made of money, head on down to the Home Depot or the
local do-it-yourself pest control store and buy a small bottle of the
nastiest ant killer they have and see if that works.....

Lar

In article , bryan.459
@pac.bell.net says...
Anyway, lately they've been swarming the top edges of the hot tub. The hot
tub sits on a gravel bed surrounded by a wood frame with dirt or grass.
It's going to foggy with occasional periods of rain until next summer. What
do you think my best ant-kill and return-prevention options are?

It can depend on what type of ant you are dealing with on what to use.
If it is a small ant most of the common gel baits probably will work
whether they are a species that is living in the ground around the tub
or it being one that lives in the insulation or lining of the hot tub
itself....Terro..Combat, though depending on what their colony needs
are may determine if they are looking for sugars or proteins. If it is a
large ant they probably are carpenter ants that would require a more
specialized bait or professional treatment.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

SteveB

, bryan.459
@pac.bell.net says...
Anyway, lately they've been swarming the top edges of the hot tub.
The hot
tub sits on a gravel bed surrounded by a wood frame with dirt or
grass.
It's going to foggy with occasional periods of rain until next summer.
What
do you think my best ant-kill and return-prevention options are?

I like the granules. They carry them back to the nest, helping to kill the
unseen ants, too.

No need to hire an expensive exterminator. Go to Homer's and buy a bottle
of diazanon or malathion. That will do it.

Steve

Sacramento Dave

"Bryan" wrote in message
m...
I've got ants!

Northern California black ants. The kind that invade whenever the weather
get really hot or really wet. The kind that ignore food. They're looking
for something (aren't we all), but it's not food. Maybe the weather

changes
disrupt their homes (like earthquakes on ant-scale).

Anyway, lately they've been swarming the top edges of the hot tub. The

hot
tub sits on a gravel bed surrounded by a wood frame with dirt or grass.
It's going to foggy with occasional periods of rain until next summer.

What
do you think my best ant-kill and return-prevention options are?

" It's going to foggy with occasional periods of rain until next summer" Boy
that sure sounds like the Mill Valley hills. As for the ants I would go buy
a spray at Home Depot or any hardware store, maybe try some bait station,
try some deferent stuff the cost is cheaper than a pest service sure they
will come back and spray for free ( I sure that's if you singe a service
contract)We had a pest service when we bought our new house cost I believe
$65 every 6 weeks. Still got ants and a excuse every time they came back,
that was a short lived service( the lawn guy is next) It seems when the
first rains hit the ants are on the move, seems like when the summer heat
hits the ants are on the move, seems like nothing kills them.

big black ants jay Home Ownership 8 February 27th 13 06:05 PM
Recommend ways to eliminate Carpenter Ants HerHusband Home Repair 13 June 18th 05 01:56 AM
help -- winged carpenter ants!! [email protected] Home Repair 20 June 10th 05 02:45 PM
big black ants jay Home Repair 10 May 6th 05 03:24 PM
How to rid house of ants? Norminn Home Repair 11 October 26th 04 09:02 PM