DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are Electric Water Heater Thermostats Generic? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/126724-electric-water-heater-thermostats-generic.html)

frank1492 October 27th 05 03:17 AM

Are Electric Water Heater Thermostats Generic?

I have an old Sears heater for which parts are still available
from Sears, but I wondered if I could get new thermostats from
the HD. How generic are they?
Thanks for your help.
Frank

Jeff Wisnia October 28th 05 12:10 AM

frank1492 wrote:

I have an old Sears heater for which parts are still available
from Sears, but I wondered if I could get new thermostats from
the HD. How generic are they?
Thanks for your help.
Frank

IME they have been pretty much the same for many years now, and snap
into their mounts on the heater tank. But there are various styles, like
with or without high temperature safety cutouts and for single or dual
element (top and bottom) heaters.

If you can put up with turning the heater off while you go shopping,
remove the old ones and take them with you to make sure you get ones
with the same mounting and functions. That's easier than relying on your
memory.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

frank1492 October 28th 05 02:29 AM

Are Electric Water Heater Thermostats Generic?

Thanks Jeff, will do.
Frank