DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid / question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/126717-re-floor-jack-needs-hydraulic-fluid-question.html)

DanG October 27th 05 01:32 AM

Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid / question

I realize that the plug you see is on the top of the barrel.
Think about the "normal" position of that plug on a jack that is
standing on its own base plate. The proper level for the fluid
would be level with this hole when standing up.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
My Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid. It dont raise as high as
it used
to. I have never had to add fluid to one of these. I got a
bottle of
the fluid, found a plug on the top of the jack cylinder which I
imagine is the place that gets the fluid, and was ready to fill
it.
Thats when I realized that I have no idea how full it should be,
and
whether removing this plug will cause the fluid to shoot out (is
is
under pressure with the jack lowered?). I decided to ask for a
little
advice before I open the thing. Everytime I think I know
everything,
it seems there is something new to learn every day !!!!

Anyone????

Thanks in advance for all help.

Mark

J.C. October 27th 05 01:50 PM

Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid / question

wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.
Actually, the hole is in the base of the cylinder. Sort of like a
bottle jack laying in it's side. I guess these floor jacks are really
bottle jacks modified to lift the "frame" around them. I guess I will
just fill it as much as I can, and hope for the best. I dont think
too much fluid will damage anything, so I can always drain some out if
needed,

Mark

Once you fill it with fluid, open the valve and pump the handle about 6
times then close the valve. Then pump it all the way up and then release the
valve. Once it stops going down, push on it until it is firmly seated. The
purpose of this exercise is to get all of the air out of the system. You
will know you have all the air out when the jump moves up on the *very first
pump*. If you can't get it to do that, you probably have O ring
deterioration.

--
Some people call this Northeast Hell
We just call it South Texas