Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mikepier

Default Found roof leak, but have question

Last week I posted a problem with finding a roof leak. Well I managed
to get up on the roof a few days ago with a water hose, and I aimed it
right at where it was leaking in the attic. Sure enough, when I went
into the attic I saw water dripping, so at least I found it rightaway,
as opposed to the water traveling from another spot.
But even so, when I looked at the spot on the roof, I could not see any
damage. I noticed that the edges of the shingles were glued down.
Anotherwords the manufacturer had put a thin layer of roof cement under
the edges so it would seal by itself in the sun.
So I carefully lift the edges breaking the seal, and then water came
out. I guess the water was somehow entering the sides and being trapped
under the shingle and making its way up to the nail under it. I did
this to a few shingles on my roof and noticed the same thing, water
coming out from underneath. So I took some roofing cement and with a
putty knife managed to cover the nails under the shingles in the spot
of the leak. Last night I went to check for leaks during the rainstorm
we had, so far no leaks.
But has anyone ever heard of this problem? Why are the edges sealed in
the first place?

Roof "hog valley" leak problem jj3000 Home Repair 9 February 16th 05 11:33 PM
Flat Garage Roof. Corner leak. [email protected] UK diy 5 February 7th 05 10:00 AM
Stupid cedar roof question Matt Home Repair 6 January 12th 05 02:14 PM
Lea-to tiled roof question Dave UK diy 3 June 2nd 04 10:11 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM