NordWulf

Default Well, pumps and the need for aspirin!

I was reading through some of the older post, hoping to find an answer to a
problem I am having.. I seem to have found most of the answer in the post
dated 7/6/2005 called "well cycling too fast" and a big thanks to you all
for having that much info on here for me! I was wondering a few things
though.. Is there some way to prevent all the water from flooding into the
basement from the well as I replace the pipes? We are renovating an older
home and I am having the same problem that RD had.. after replacing
everything inside, including the pipes, pump, tank.. I really feel that the
problem is the connection from the well to the pump.. mostly, the wall
between the 2 has given me some big clues... so I will have to get in there
and 'git er dun' however I worry that I may end up needing scuba gear to do
it, if it starts to drain into the house as I am disconnecting and
reconnecting the lines..
Clear as mud I bet...
any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Tracey

Duane Bozarth

NordWulf wrote:

...Is there some way to prevent all the water from flooding into the
basement from the well as I replace the pipes? ...

All _what_ water? The well is surely below basement level...

'splain what you mean--I have no clue from previous posting.
Bob

"NordWulf" wrote in message ...
[...]

Turn the pump off, then drain water from the lowest valve in the system untill it stops. Then use a container to catch
what is left in the pipes as you disconnect them.

Bob

NordWulf

Sorry Duane, I guess I was letting my newbie slip show...
Actually, no, the well is not below the level of the basement. The well is
only about 3 feet away from the south wall of the basement, same side as the
pump of course, and the water level is up to within one foot of the ground!
with where the valve is, that means that I have about 6 feet of water (at
least) above the point where the water enters into the house. That is what I
meant by having signs that there might be a leak evident on the wall.. it is
cinder block construction. At the top of the well there is a run off line
so it doesn't over flow... it drains out to the creek out back..
So Bob, I would need one hel of a container to catch all that water! LOL
Maybe put a sump pump in the well, and drain it out low enough to access the
pipe work? I don't know....
This do it yourself thing is harder then I had imagined it would be, and I
knew it would be no piece of cake!
Tracey
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
NordWulf wrote:

...Is there some way to prevent all the water from flooding into the
basement from the well as I replace the pipes? ...

All _what_ water? The well is surely below basement level...

'splain what you mean--I have no clue from previous posting.

Duane Bozarth

NordWulf wrote:

[...]

If the water level is only 1-ft below grade, how do you keep a basement
dry?

Something still doesn't sound right...

I suppose you could have a situation w/ positive head in the aquifer
that causes a static column to stand in the well hole, but that's about
the only thing I can think of...

It still isn't clear what you need to do....

If you need to replace some line between this spring ( ) and the
house and can not prevent water from continuing to flow, I suppose the
only choice would be to put a valve in the line outside ahead of the
section you wish to replace. Then you can cut the flow at that point
and have only the water in the remaining line to deal with.

I suppose the other possibility is, as you suggest, seeing if you can
pump the standing water down outside long enough to work on the
system...

'Tis a problem I've never experienced and since I am having a really
hard time envisioning both the problem to be solved and the situation, I
don't have any further ideas...

NordWulf wrote:

...Is there some way to prevent all the water from flooding into the
basement from the well as I replace the pipes? ...

All _what_ water? The well is surely below basement level...

'splain what you mean--I have no clue from previous posting.

Goedjn

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:04:36 -0500, "NordWulf"
wrote:

[...]
NordWulf wrote:

Get one of those inflatable bladder-plugs, and shove it down
the well-head, and inflate it, to cork the well.

If you can't find an inflatable bladder-plug, use a beachball.