Wayne Whitney

Default Natural Gas Pipe Sizing

Hello,

Sizing natural gas pipes using black iron, a few questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that the usual residential system has a
pressure of 7" water column at the regulator, and the pipe system
should be designed so that when all appliances are running at
maximum demand, the pressure drop at any outlet should be less than
0.5" water column?

2) If I understand correctly, the pressure drop can be accurately
determined using the standard charts giving pressure drop/foot for
a given pipe size and diameter. How are fittings handled? One
source I read suggested treating any 90 or 45 degree fitting as 1.3
feet equivalent. Any drop on the through path of a tee?

Thanks, Wayne
SQLit

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Sizing natural gas pipes using black iron, a few questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that the usual residential system has a
pressure of 7" water column at the regulator, and the pipe system
should be designed so that when all appliances are running at
maximum demand, the pressure drop at any outlet should be less than
0.5" water column?

2) If I understand correctly, the pressure drop can be accurately
determined using the standard charts giving pressure drop/foot for
a given pipe size and diameter. How are fittings handled? One
source I read suggested treating any 90 or 45 degree fitting as 1.3
feet equivalent. Any drop on the through path of a tee?

Thanks, Wayne

Last gas system I installed I looked at the UPC, Uniform Plumbing code.
There were charts and examples that I got everything under control before I
bought the pipe. Or so I thought. I pulled a permit, listing what I was
connecting and when it was inspected. The inspector said that I did not need
to run 1 inch to the first appliance. I had a friend who is a pipe fitter
go through my calculations and he agreed with me.
Location and size of load with the respective distances will help greatly
when you do your lay out and calculations. I never thought about nor
worried about the fittings in my system.
Drawing the system out on paper was a lot of help for me in doing the
calculations.

TURTLE

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Sizing natural gas pipes using black iron, a few questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that the usual residential system has a
pressure of 7" water column at the regulator, and the pipe system
should be designed so that when all appliances are running at
maximum demand, the pressure drop at any outlet should be less than
0.5" water column?

2) If I understand correctly, the pressure drop can be accurately
determined using the standard charts giving pressure drop/foot for
a given pipe size and diameter. How are fittings handled? One
source I read suggested treating any 90 or 45 degree fitting as 1.3
feet equivalent. Any drop on the through path of a tee?

Thanks, Wayne

This is Turtle

Here is some charting on this and can help some.

http://www.aprsupply.com/support/aprtech14.htm

TURTLE

How much water in a copper tube? Harry Everhart Home Repair 59 April 18th 14 08:04 PM
Leaking Soil Pipe? andrewpreece UK diy 8 July 29th 05 05:13 PM
Sizing of waste pipe for washbasin Tony UK diy 2 June 9th 05 11:39 PM
OT - Humor - US Army Pipe Specs Lane Metalworking 1 May 23rd 05 12:28 PM