Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jason

Default bathroom and washing machine GFCI question

Hello all,

I have a question about how to rewire my bathroom. Here is the current
setup:

20 amp breaker

| not sure what gauge wire in conduit

4 outlets in 1 junction box (washing machine, dryer, and freezer plug in
here)

| 14 gauge wire no ground (romex)

outlet in bathroom (not GFCI)

| not sure what gauge wire (romex) but it looks like 14 gauge

light switch

| not sure what gauge wire (romex) but it looks like 14 gauge

fluorescent light

I know I definitely need a GFCI outlet in bathroom because the outlet is
next to the sink. The question I have is does the washing machine need to
have a GFCI outlet as well? If it does I would just buy a GFCI circuit
breaker, replace the ungrounded romex with grounded romex and call it done.
I remember from a long time ago a friend told me that fluorescent lights
should not be on a GFCI outlet, I recall something about the ballast. Is
this still true?

I live in Indiana if that information helps.

Thanks,
Jason