Charlie S.

Default Burning Pressure Treated Wood

I have a lot of Pressure treated scrap wood left over from a summer project.
While getting ready to throw it all away I thought my sister might be able
to use it for her wood burning stove. Then, I realized they probably use
some nasty chemicals in treating this wood. So, I've decided to throw it
out. Is my thinking on the right track or am I over-reacting?

Duane Bozarth

"Charlie S." wrote:

I have a lot of Pressure treated scrap wood left over from a summer project.
While getting ready to throw it all away I thought my sister might be able
to use it for her wood burning stove. Then, I realized they probably use
some nasty chemicals in treating this wood. So, I've decided to throw it
out. Is my thinking on the right track or am I over-reacting?

While I've burned some very small amounts, I would recommend against
burning treated for heat even in a closed stove and definitely not in an
open fireplace. It's definitely not on the approved list "things to
do".
m Ransley

Yes throw it away or burn outside and be sure nobody lives nearby
downwind. There was a lady who posted for years on how CCA poisoned here
verifyibly.

Hell Toupee

"Charlie S." wrote:

I have a lot of Pressure treated scrap wood left over from a summer project.
While getting ready to throw it all away I thought my sister might be able
to use it for her wood burning stove. Then, I realized they probably use
some nasty chemicals in treating this wood. So, I've decided to throw it
out. Is my thinking on the right track or am I over-reacting?

"Never burn treated wood. Burning releases toxic fumes into the air
and has been associated with serious arsenic poisoning." --
http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/eh/HlthHaz/fs/TrtdWood.htm
PipeDown

"Charlie S." wrote in message
I have a lot of Pressure treated scrap wood left over from a summer
project. While getting ready to throw it all away I thought my sister might
be able to use it for her wood burning stove. Then, I realized they
probably use some nasty chemicals in treating this wood. So, I've decided
to throw it out. Is my thinking on the right track or am I over-reacting?

You're right, should not be burned inside or out. Manufacturer instructions
say dispose of properly and do not burn.

Tim Fischer

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
"Never burn treated wood. Burning releases toxic fumes into the air
and has been associated with serious arsenic poisoning." --
http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/eh/HlthHaz/fs/TrtdWood.htm

Anyone know if this is still true with the ne AC2 (arsenic-free) wood?

I'm assuming it is...

-Tim

Chris Lewis

According to Charlie S. :
I have a lot of Pressure treated scrap wood left over from a summer project.
While getting ready to throw it all away I thought my sister might be able
to use it for her wood burning stove. Then, I realized they probably use
some nasty chemicals in treating this wood. So, I've decided to throw it
out. Is my thinking on the right track or am I over-reacting?

Assuming it's the old CCA, don't burn it. Amongst other things, burning
it produces Arsine, an _extremely_ toxic gas.

Most places will accept moderate quantities in ordinary garbage.

The newer forms of PT are probably much less toxic, but you'd still not want
to burn them in enclosed spaces anyway.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Most newer PT wood is treated with copper and/or zinc salts, not as
bad as arsenic but not good to breathe either.
If any of the pieces are usable, try offering it on freecycle.org,
save someone else some money and keep that crud out of the
landfill.-Jitney