Default Deliberately not venting a radiator?

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any adverse effects (like accelerated rust
build up) associated with deliberately not venting some radiators in a
hot water system. I would like to do this in order to decrease their
heat output without having to install valves.

Thanks for any help.

RUsirius

hwm54112

Cast iron doesn't rust

--
hwm54112
hwm54112's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=127

HeatMan

I'm guessing you have a one pipe steam system. If you 'don't vent' the
radiator (and it is a one-pipe system), it won't heat.

They do make adjustable vents for one pipe system. Ask at the Wall.
http://forums.invision.net/index.cfm?CFApp=2

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am wondering if there are any adverse effects (like accelerated rust
build up) associated with deliberately not venting some radiators in a
hot water system. I would like to do this in order to decrease their
heat output without having to install valves.

Thanks for any help.

RUsirius

Goedjn

I am wondering if there are any adverse effects (like accelerated rust
build up) associated with deliberately not venting some radiators in a
hot water system. I would like to do this in order to decrease their
heat output without having to install valves.

Get someone to knit a cover for the ones that heat too much.

It is a hot water system, not a steam system.

There are 3 circuits attached to the furnace. I would assume that the
other radiators in the same circuit would still work even a one or two
are not vented?!

So, there is no oxidation taking place in a cast iron radiator?

I think that not venting a couple of radiators is a more "elegant"
solution then knitting a cover for them. :-)

Thanks for the responses.

RUsirius

m Ransley

You keep saying vented, steam radiator systems are vented not hw heat.
There are air bleed valves on Hw radiators to remove air , but once air
is removed they are closed, and kept closed or water would pour out.
Don't the radiators have shut off valves. Do you mean turning off the
water at the boiler, that is circulation and some is needed so pipes do
not freeze. What you state makes no sense.

HeatMan

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You keep saying vented, steam radiator systems are vented not hw heat.
There are air bleed valves on Hw radiators to remove air , but once air
is removed they are closed, and kept closed or water would pour out.
Don't the radiators have shut off valves. Do you mean turning off the
water at the boiler, that is circulation and some is needed so pipes do
not freeze. What you state makes no sense.

Mark, it depends on how his system is set up. If he has monoflow fittings,
he can shut off individual rads. If it's a series circuit, he can't without
effecting the entire loop/zone.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant: NOT TO BLEED the hot water radiator
in order to keep an air bubble in the radiator. This should prevent the
water from circulating properly in the radiator. But does this mean
that all the radiators that follow in that zone will also not heat up
properly?

My other concern is that this way there will be permanently air and
some water in the radiator and thus I am afraid there might be more
chance for oxidation.

The radiators only have simple shut off valves and are as far as I can
tell in a series circuit. So I can't just shut one off without
affecting the other radiators in the zone.

I hope this clarifies things.

HeatMan

I kinda get your point, but I'm looking deeper. If your system is set up
correctly, there should never be any air in your system.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry for the confusion, I meant: NOT TO BLEED the hot water radiator
in order to keep an air bubble in the radiator. This should prevent the
water from circulating properly in the radiator. But does this mean
that all the radiators that follow in that zone will also not heat up
properly?

Quite possibly.

My other concern is that this way there will be permanently air and
some water in the radiator and thus I am afraid there might be more
chance for oxidation.

Well, that has to do with the make up water. If you have a leak and air is
getting in, that means fresh, oxygenated water is getting in the system.
That fresh water will cause corrosion.

The radiators only have simple shut off valves and are as far as I can
tell in a series circuit. So I can't just shut one off without
affecting the other radiators in the zone.

I hope this clarifies things.

HeatMan

You've confused me. You have a hot water system and there are vents on the
radiators? Vents that automatically open and close?

wrote in message
ups.com...
It is a hot water system, not a steam system.

There are 3 circuits attached to the furnace. I would assume that the
other radiators in the same circuit would still work even a one or two
are not vented?!

Three circuits, also known as zones?

So, there is no oxidation taking place in a cast iron radiator?

There shouldn't be. If your system is constantly taking in fresh,
(dissolved) oxygen-laden water, the will be corrosion. I'd worry more about
the boiler than the radiators.

I think that not venting a couple of radiators is a more "elegant"
solution then knitting a cover for them. :-)

Agreed.... TRV's would work better than knitted covers.

Thanks for the responses.

Yer Welcome.

RUsirius

YesIAm