Default ? about boilers/condensation(POTD!!)

Is it possible to tell how long a boiler has been running by checking
the condensation at the vent where it goes outside? Also, does it make
any difference if the wall is an unfinished state, with the plastic
looking stuff instead of wood.....

weird question I know, but I would love to get an answer.....

Chuck

I should have said, could someone tell by the amount of "frozen"
condensation.....I need to know some opinions for a landlord vs tenant
frozen pipe situation....

Chuck

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I should have said, could someone tell by the amount of "frozen"
condensation.....I need to know some opinions for a landlord vs tenant
frozen pipe situation....

Chuck

Short answer, no

Frozen makes it even more difficult to say as it could have frozen a week
ago and stayed while the boiler did not run at all in that time.

The amount of condensation is dependent of a few factors. Relative
humidity, temperature near the pipe, ventilation, run time, flame variance
on a modulating boiler, etc.

Okay....so in my case......we had been out of town, but left the heat
on, someone was coming by and checking mail, etc.......

the nite we returned the heat was not working, the landlord came out,
he states that he could tell by the depth of the frozen condensation
outside just how long our heater had been shut off.....

he said it was impossible that our heater had been running at all as
their was only a foot or so of frozen condensation....does this make
sense?

Chuck

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

he said it was impossible that our heater had been running at all as
their was only a foot or so of frozen condensation....does this make
sense?

Chuck

Your landlord is a whack job. He will not find any professional engineer or
HVAC tech to legitimately verify his claim. Another factor I did not
mention in my last post was solar heating and wind as they will also affect
the frozen buildup. Ask him for the formula to back up his assertion.