Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ken Moiarty

Default Another Deck Related Question...

Building ground level deck... Concerns: short lifetime expected due to lack
of space for proper air circulation under deck, plus high moisture levels
from both sky and ground (i.e. rainy Vancouver weather and high water-table
clay soil, respectively). I've put much thought and research into how to
best counter this... Now I've finally arrived at my final choices of
strategy/design/materials, as follows: Ipe for the decking material, drain
rock down to a depth of 9" to 12" below grade (in conjunction with
pre-existing landscape drainage), thorough sealing of PT frame joists and
beams with double wet coat oil based paint/sealer.

Now, here's my question: How can I _keep_ the frame (i.e. joists) sealed
against moisture in spite of the fact that the screws (for fastening the
decking) will be piercing whatever sealer/paint I've put there?

I've read that dipping the deck screws in hot paraffin wax prior to use will
cause the screws to form a water-tight seal (as well as, primarily of
course, facilitate the screw's entry into the wood). But I'm having
difficulty visualizing how this would actually be accomplished ... Unless
there is maybe some kind of simple and portable hot-wax-applicator-gun or
similar device available that I am just not aware of (...?).

Ken

Solid Surface Deck, Rebuilding and Coating Phil Anderson Home Repair 2 July 14th 05 11:49 PM
deck problem John D'Errico Home Repair 3 August 30th 04 12:02 AM
buiding a deck questi barry martin Home Repair 2 August 17th 04 06:47 PM
buiding a deck question HA HA Budys Here Home Repair 9 August 12th 04 03:30 AM
Deck Joists question? Steve Home Repair 13 June 30th 03 05:02 AM