Wayne Whitney

Default Condensing gas tank water heaters?

Hello,

Has anyone used a 90%+ efficient gas tank water heater (a condensing
unit)? E.g. the Polaris line by American Water Heater Company,
http://www.americanwaterheater.com/WHBrowser/gas/Polaris50.cfm.
Know of any others?

Thanks, Wayne
HeatMan

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Has anyone used a 90%+ efficient gas tank water heater (a condensing
unit)? E.g. the Polaris line by American Water Heater Company,
http://www.americanwaterheater.com/WHBrowser/gas/Polaris50.cfm.

I didn't click on the link, but that looks like the one I installed for my
FIL about 10 years ago. Okay unit, first ignitor lasted 6 years, now it
eats one every 2 years. Even the one that I special ordered from the
factory at 2X the price of the exact one from the local supplier.

Know of any others?

Are you just going to be using it for domestic how water production?

Wayne Whitney

On 2005-09-29, HeatMan wrote:

"Wayne Whitney" wrote:

Has anyone used a 90%+ efficient gas tank water heater (a condensing
unit)? E.g. the Polaris line by American Water Heater Company,

Are you just going to be using it for domestic how water production?

Well, I need to replace my gas furnace and gas water heater. I had
been looking at a 45K BTU/hr input condensing furnace and a 150K-199K
BTU/hr input tankless water heater.

So one option would be to get a 34 gallon 150K BTU/hr input Polaris
condensing water heater and use an air-water heat exchanger on a
potable hot water circuit for the forced hot air. I assume this would
be more efficient, because the tankless water heaters aren't
condensing units? It would also provide the option to use radiant
floor heat in parts of the house I'm remodeling.

Does a condensing storage water heater have any trouble condensing the
exhaust gases, if the storage water is kept at 140 or 160 degrees F?
I guess I don't know what temperature a air/water heat exchanger
circuit typically requires. Or does the condensing storage water
heater only fire when water is being demanded and use the incoming
cold water to help condense the exhaust gases?

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. As a general rule, is it OK to drain the condensate into a sump
with a pump to a backyard drywell?