DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What to Use as 'Moulding' where Existing Ceramic meets New Granite (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/123142-what-use-moulding-where-existing-ceramic-meets-new-granite.html)

[email protected] September 28th 05 02:11 AM

What to Use as 'Moulding' where Existing Ceramic meets New Granite

12-year old house: At the end of a major kitchen remodel, (cabinets and
granite tops) we now have a sloping gap that goes from 1/16 to about
5/16 inch (in a span of 7 feet) between the nice new dark granite
backsplash top and the bottom edge of the existing white ceramic 4-inch
tile back splash.
The orig. floor, cabinets and counter-top are level.
The (12-year old) ceramic tile was not installed square to the floor.
I can place the edge of a level in the horizontal joints of the tiles
and see the pitch...ugh. So far, I have considered applying a bead of
clear paintable (DAP) caulk in this opening.
I "thought" the granite company was to have made accurate templates for
the back splashes they installed.

Thanks for any ideas,
Gary

[email protected] September 28th 05 02:17 AM

Does the face of the back splash match the face of the exiting tile?
Is there a tile trim piece that could be set against the face of the
tile and sit on the backsplash?
TB

[email protected] September 28th 05 01:05 PM

The tile is the usual thickness; the granite is about 3/4-inch thick,
so the trim piece idea would be just fine. I just am stumped as to what
would "look" OK to cover the tapering gap that is about 5/16-inch max.,
with drywall showing.

maple cabinets
black-gray-green granite
white tile
stainless sink
white appliances
under-cabinet track lighting

-Gary

John Hines September 28th 05 04:03 PM

wrote:

The orig. floor, cabinets and counter-top are level.
The (12-year old) ceramic tile was not installed square to the floor.
I can place the edge of a level in the horizontal joints of the tiles
and see the pitch...ugh. So far, I have considered applying a bead of
clear paintable (DAP) caulk in this opening.

Check with the granite company, or a tile shop near you. There are
caulks that come in the various colors of grout used these days, you
should be able to get a decent color match w/o paint.

Charles Spitzer September 28th 05 05:55 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
12-year old house: At the end of a major kitchen remodel, (cabinets and
granite tops) we now have a sloping gap that goes from 1/16 to about
5/16 inch (in a span of 7 feet) between the nice new dark granite
backsplash top and the bottom edge of the existing white ceramic 4-inch
tile back splash.
The orig. floor, cabinets and counter-top are level.
The (12-year old) ceramic tile was not installed square to the floor.
I can place the edge of a level in the horizontal joints of the tiles
and see the pitch...ugh. So far, I have considered applying a bead of
clear paintable (DAP) caulk in this opening.
I "thought" the granite company was to have made accurate templates for
the back splashes they installed.

Thanks for any ideas,
Gary

rip out the tile and do-over correctly? that would give you a chance to use
tile that more matched the granite.