DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   copper fittings for use with a pressure gage (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/123098-copper-fittings-use-pressure-gage.html)

[email protected] September 26th 05 10:48 PM

copper fittings for use with a pressure gage

Hello,
I am looking for a fitting that will allow be to have a pressure gauge
near the inlet of my city water so I can always see what my pressure
is. I live on a hill near the water tank and our home pressure runs
about 40 psi most times. I would need a tee fitting that I could cut
into the 3/4" copper piping to allow the water through with a port for
the pressure gauge I have [Merrill PG100 with a 1/4" male thread]
Does such a beast exist or am I going to have to build something up
with brass fittings?

|----gauge Merrill PG100 with a 1/4" male thread

^

water direction

Thanks!
ayb

Toller September 26th 05 11:35 PM

I just stick mine on the drain of the water heater.

Greg O September 27th 05 12:02 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I am looking for a fitting that will allow be to have a pressure gauge
near the inlet of my city water so I can always see what my pressure
is. I live on a hill near the water tank and our home pressure runs
about 40 psi most times. I would need a tee fitting that I could cut
into the 3/4" copper piping to allow the water through with a port for
the pressure gauge I have [Merrill PG100 with a 1/4" male thread]
Does such a beast exist or am I going to have to build something up
with brass fittings?

Hard to tell what is available in your area, but you should be able to find
a 3/4" sweat tee, with a female thread that you can bush down to the gauge.
If nothing else a 3/4" tee, with a female NPT adapter soldered to it.
Greg

Richard J Kinch September 27th 05 05:40 AM

writes:

Does such a beast exist or am I going to have to build something up
with brass fittings?

A common gage will have 1/8 or 1/4 NPT male threads. You can step a 3/4
tee down to those.

Gages are pretty unreliable, especially when under pressure all the time.

Duane Bozarth September 27th 05 03:34 PM

Richard J Kinch wrote:

writes:

Does such a beast exist or am I going to have to build something up
with brass fittings?

A common gage will have 1/8 or 1/4 NPT male threads. You can step a 3/4
tee down to those.

Gages are pretty unreliable, especially when under pressure all the time.

???? A device designed specifically for the purpose is unreliable??? I
think the manufacturers would be somewhat surprised to hear that.

Richard J Kinch September 27th 05 08:11 PM

Duane Bozarth writes:

Gages are pretty unreliable, especially when under pressure all the
time.

???? A device designed specifically for the purpose is unreliable???

Absolutely. This is the nature of the Bourdon tube mechanism.

Edwin Pawlowski September 27th 05 08:27 PM

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Duane Bozarth writes:

Gages are pretty unreliable, especially when under pressure all the
time.

???? A device designed specifically for the purpose is unreliable???

Absolutely. This is the nature of the Bourdon tube mechanism.

Can you quantify "unreliable'? Will they stick in one spot,? Not go up?
Not come down? Read high? Read low? All of the above?

Duane Bozarth September 27th 05 08:39 PM

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Duane Bozarth writes:

Gages are pretty unreliable, especially when under pressure all the
time.

???? A device designed specifically for the purpose is unreliable???

Absolutely. This is the nature of the Bourdon tube mechanism.

Many other ways of building them...

Ones one the system here last for several years at least and then it's
rarely the gauge itself that fails, it's accumulated rust/sediment.

Units work in power plants for years as well...but, of course, they're
industrial units.

Richard J Kinch September 27th 05 08:41 PM

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Absolutely. This is the nature of the Bourdon tube mechanism.

Can you quantify "unreliable'? Will they stick in one spot,? Not go
up? Not come down? Read high? Read low? All of the above?

All of the above are typical except perhaps reading high.

The least bit of corrosion from a wet or condensing environment will spoil
the little gears and bearings.

If you ever have a bad one to throw out, tear it apart and have a look.
Looks like the proverbial ladies watch.

Here's a pretty good explanation and diagram:

http://www.tpub.com/content/fc/14104/css/14104_232.htm

z September 27th 05 08:54 PM

wrote:
On 26 Sep 2005 14:48:03 -0700, "
wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for a fitting that will allow be to have a pressure gauge
near the inlet of my city water so I can always see what my pressure
is. I live on a hill near the water tank and our home pressure runs
about 40 psi most times. I would need a tee fitting that I could cut
into the 3/4" copper piping to allow the water through with a port for
the pressure gauge I have [Merrill PG100 with a 1/4" male thread]
Does such a beast exist or am I going to have to build something up
with brass fittings?

Home Depot has a guage that connects to a regular hose fitting. You
could tee it off the washing machine using a hose splitter

Yeah, lots of garden shops sell hose-fitting pressure gauges, for
hard-core lawn irrigation types of folks.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277971

z September 27th 05 08:55 PM

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Absolutely. This is the nature of the Bourdon tube mechanism.

Can you quantify "unreliable'? Will they stick in one spot,? Not go
up? Not come down? Read high? Read low? All of the above?

All of the above are typical except perhaps reading high.

The least bit of corrosion from a wet or condensing environment will spoil
the little gears and bearings.

If you ever have a bad one to throw out, tear it apart and have a look.
Looks like the proverbial ladies watch.

Here's a pretty good explanation and diagram:

http://www.tpub.com/content/fc/14104/css/14104_232.htm

Mm. Time to go back to the mercury manometer.