Toller

Default Anyone have a DW680 planer?

I just bought a DW680 planer. It works pretty well; certainly better than
my KMart (yes it actually says that on the label) 2".

But the directions for changing the blades seem to be for a completely
different machine. There is a large and small allen wrench, but the small
one doesn't fit anything. There is an extrusion that might be a guide, but
it doesn't fit anywhere and doesn't look like the guide in the illustration.

I contacted Dewalt, but their reply was "The allen wrench it came with is to
loosen the clamp that holds the blade so you can change the blades ." I
guess they don't know either.

And... they make carbide and steel blades for it; the steel are more
expensive. Why would I want steel? Because I can sharpen them?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Toller" wrote in message

And... they make carbide and steel blades for it; the steel are more
expensive. Why would I want steel? Because I can sharpen them?

Carbide is tougher, lasts longer, can be resharpened. Steel blades are
disposable, but some people have has some success honing them.

Toller

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

And... they make carbide and steel blades for it; the steel are more
expensive. Why would I want steel? Because I can sharpen them?

Carbide is tougher, lasts longer, can be resharpened. Steel blades are
disposable, but some people have has some success honing them.

But the steel is actually more expensive and more difficult to install!

Ken

"Toller" wrote in message

And... they make carbide and steel blades for it; the steel are more
expensive. Why would I want steel? Because I can sharpen them?

Carbide is tougher, lasts longer, can be resharpened. Steel blades are
disposable, but some people have has some success honing them.

But the steel is actually more expensive and more difficult to install!

It is possible to get a sharper edge on steel than on carbide. A
properly sharpened steel blade will give better results than a properly
sharpened carbide blade. But that is for "properly sharpened". A steel
blade is less likely to be properly sharpened over time.

Also, people over in rec.woodworking can give you much more info.

Ken

Good experience on delta planer support (Yoohoo Steve knight) BillyBob Woodworking 1 September 10th 05 04:56 AM
Review - DeWalt 7350 Planer Stand Tom Banes Woodworking 1 July 13th 05 06:47 AM
JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM