Gingertoad

Default Weatherproofing an often-used patio door

Brrrr. It's my first Fall in northern Ontario and the nights are already
getting quite chilly! I feel the urgent need to weatherproof the
windows and doors in my small electrically-heated house. The hydro
(electric) bills, already way too high, are projected to skyrocket this
winter, plus I want to cut down on fuel consumption for environmental
reasons.

I suppose that tacking up clear plastic sheeting will suffice for the
windows, and the front door isn't too bad since it has a storm door,
but the patio door is a big problem. Neither the inner nor the storm
doors fit snugly at all, and I've heard that condensation often freezes
the doors shut. Not good--not only is this not safe, as there are only
two doors for the house, but my dogs must be let out through the patio
door several times a day to do their business.

I'll appreciate ideas as to how to weatherproof the patio door so that
it can still be used.

Gingertoad

--
Gingertoad