Stormin Mormon

Default Infared Thermometer Use (kewl!)

Over at a friend's house, her car wasn't braking correctly.

One other fellow felt the hubs, the one was warm and the other cool.
Suggested maybe it wasn't braking on one side. I had the idea to go grab the
IR thermometer, which revealed one cold brake on the front, one cold brake
on the back.

Now we know that it really was uneven braking.

Kewl!

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Over at a friend's house, her car wasn't braking correctly.

One other fellow felt the hubs, the one was warm and the other cool.
Suggested maybe it wasn't braking on one side. I had the idea to go grab
the
IR thermometer, which revealed one cold brake on the front, one cold brake
on the back.

Now we know that it really was uneven braking.

Kewl!

So your $5,000 gadget confirmed what your hands already told you?

Dave in Lake Villa

'So your $5,000 gadget confirmed what your hands already told you? =A0
'

Reply: They run approx. $99 and they are very useful instruments in
many trades...especially automotive service.

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

So your $5,000 gadget confirmed what your hands already told you?

$5k?
Less than $100 most anywhere.
Greg

Dr. Hardcrab

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

So your $5,000 gadget confirmed what your hands already told you?

$5k?
Less than $100 most anywhere.
Greg

Can't remember the brand name, but saw one on Friday that was compact
(almost like a keychane fob) and was $49. Ratio wasn't great, but it
worked....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

So your $5,000 gadget confirmed what your hands already told you?

$5k?
Less than $100 most anywhere.
Greg

Can't remember the brand name, but saw one on Friday that was compact
(almost like a keychane fob) and was $49. Ratio wasn't great, but it
worked....

No one recognizes exaggeration any more? Or noticed the

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

No one recognizes exaggeration any more? Or noticed the

Yeah I saw it, but I wasn't sure if you were joking or temporarily insane!
;-)
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg O" wrote in message
Yeah I saw it, but I wasn't sure if you were joking or temporarily insane!
;-)
Greg

Most people don't think it is only temporary.

Stormin Mormon

I used one the other day when was microwaving some soup. Laser the bowl of
soup to see if it was hot enough, or needed some more time in the mic.

Auto service -- find out if your alternator, brakes, etc. is running hot? Or
if the AC is working. I did read the AC vent on my truck the day I got my IR
thermometer.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote in message
'So your $5,000 gadget confirmed what your hands already told you?
'

Reply: They run approx. $99 and they are very useful instruments in
many trades...especially automotive service.

Gideon

Stormie,

Which unit do you own? What was the cost and
how is the performance?

Gideon

Stormin Mormon

I got the UEI one from Johnstone.
http://www.myjohnstone.com/ProductDe...ockNum=H26-252

It was about $70. I really like it, the laser aiming is a nice touch. Using
it side by side with a Fluke meter, and thermcouple reveals that at cold
temps, the UEI reads about 5 degrees too cold. And with hot temps, it reads
about 5F degrees too hot.

If you know it's a pretty crude device, it's useful. However, I couldn't use
it for fine tuning an AC system, or something like that where I'd need to
read to plus or minus one degree.

The other time it came in handy, I was working on a refrigeration system,
and not sure if the condensor was dirty enough to be a problem. I did a
quick temp read on the filter dryer in the liquid line. Then some sheet
metal near the filter dryer. The dryer was warmer than the surrounding
temps. Which told me that the condensor wasn't clean enough.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Gideon" wrote in message
.. .
Stormie,

Which unit do you own? What was the cost and
how is the performance?

Gideon

BBQ Thermometer probe replacement Borax Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 12:41 AM
Remote sensing thermometer question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 11 August 25th 04 06:45 PM
Local Source for lab thermometer (glass)? Loren Coe Electronics Repair 1 January 28th 04 04:11 PM
IR Thermometer David Hearn UK diy 3 December 16th 03 01:06 PM
where can I get a good-quality air thermometer? Hatch Beck UK diy 3 August 8th 03 12:55 AM