DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tankless water heater (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/122002-tankless-water-heater.html)

miamicuse September 19th 05 05:12 AM

Tankless water heater

I have a water heater going bad on me, so I have to replace it with
something comparable or a tankless heater. I kept hearing people telling me
the tankless ones cannot heat it fast enough to give hot enough water so I
am wondering if this is because it's not done right or really there is a
truth to this.

I am located in Miami Florida so the coldest temperature during the year
would be like 35-40 degrees F. I have 200amps electric service. I believe
the highest demand for hot water when the master bath and second bath's
showers are both on, and at the same time the washer is running with hot
water. My baths are pretty simple, no additional nozzles. Is there a way
to compute if a tankless heater will work? and if so what model and size is
recommended?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Joshua Putnam September 19th 05 05:59 AM

In article ,
says...
I have a water heater going bad on me, so I have to replace it with
something comparable or a tankless heater. I kept hearing people telling me
the tankless ones cannot heat it fast enough to give hot enough water so I
am wondering if this is because it's not done right or really there is a
truth to this.

Calculate the flow rates of everything you need on at once -- how
many gallons per minute for the showers, how much for the wash, etc.
Find a heater that puts out at least that much hot water
continuously, and you should have enough hot water. Our Takagi
natural gas tankless puts out enough to run the shower, dishwasher,
and washing machine at the same time, and it's not the largest unit
on the market by far.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/