Mike

Default Sprucing up garage and need advice

We have a large, two-car, drive-under garage. It's separated into two
bays, each with its own overhead door and divided by exposed framing
that runs the length of the garage from an external walk-through door
to the door to the rest of the basement.

We're trying to spruce up the garage's rather ratty appearance, and I'd
thought about drywalling the exposed framing walkway as part of the
project, but my wife has put the kabosh on that. Are there any
downsides to painting that framing, and does anyone have any ideas
about how else we might make such a walkway appear less unfinished
without closing the walls up completely and making the space feel much
smaller than the wonderfully large space that it currently is?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike" wrote in message

Are there any
downsides to painting that framing,

Yes. In three years she will want another color.

does anyone have any ideas
about how else we might make such a walkway appear less unfinished
without closing the walls up completely and making the space feel much
smaller than the wonderfully large space that it currently is?

Is the framing structural? If not, remove it. If it is try putting
anything (drapes, cardboard) on the walls just to see how it will be "closed
in" and if it makes you claustrophobic. Keep in mind that it is a garage
and any wall covering must be non-flammable. My suggestion is just a
temporary measure to see if it feels too closed in must be removed.