Fred

Default What carpet tools to use?

First, what tool to use for clean cuts on high density foam carpet
underlayment? I put on a new razor blade in the utility knife and all I
managed to do is rip rather than cut the pad.

Second, I need to flip the carpet over to the underside for a clean cut but
what the tool to use to cut it cleanly from the top? Is this tool also used
to trip the edges along the wall? TIA

Roger Taylor

"Fred" wrote in message
First, what tool to use for clean cuts on high density foam carpet
underlayment? I put on a new razor blade in the utility knife and all I
managed to do is rip rather than cut the pad.

Second, I need to flip the carpet over to the underside for a clean cut
but what the tool to use to cut it cleanly from the top? Is this tool also
used to trip the edges along the wall? TIA

I use a sharp shop utility shears (large scissors) for the underlay, and a
utility knife and a steel straightedge to cut the rug.

Fred

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
First, what tool to use for clean cuts on high density foam carpet
underlayment? I put on a new razor blade in the utility knife and all I
managed to do is rip rather than cut the pad.

Second, I need to flip the carpet over to the underside for a clean cut
but what the tool to use to cut it cleanly from the top? Is this tool
also used to trip the edges along the wall? TIA

I use a sharp shop utility shears (large scissors) for the underlay, and a
utility knife and a steel straightedge to cut the rug.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=599858

I think this is the one to cut pad clean and could be used on carpets too.
Looks dangerous.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=599858

This is the one for trimming around the edges.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=599858

This is a kit but I don't know how some of the tools are used. For this
price they should throw in a cheap stretcher.

HerHusband

Fred,

First, what tool to use for clean cuts on high density foam carpet
underlayment? I put on a new razor blade in the utility knife and all
I managed to do is rip rather than cut the pad.

I had the same problem trying to cut the foam with a utility knife. It's
easier if you compress the foam with a board or something, but a pair of
sharp scissors is faster and easier.

Second, I need to flip the carpet over to the underside for a clean
cut but what the tool to use to cut it cleanly from the top? Is this
tool also used to trip the edges along the wall?

I tried a few different "specialty" carpet tools, but wasn't very happy
with the way they worked. The special "Edger" scraped up our floor trim
and tended to bunch up in the carpet anyway.

In the end, I just eyeballed the cut and used a utility knife to cut it
from the backside. Worked much better.

Anthony