meirman

Default make my own spring

What sort of store should I go to to buy wire to make my own spring?

I only need one.

I take out the springs from everything I scrap, and I have 3
half-pound margerine containers full, and I often have the right one,
but not this time. I need about 2 feet of 1 mm or less spring wire.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Tom

"meirman" wrote in message
news
What sort of store should I go to to buy wire to make my own spring?

I only need one.

I take out the springs from everything I scrap, and I have 3
half-pound margerine containers full, and I often have the right one,
but not this time. I need about 2 feet of 1 mm or less spring wire.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

I realize you're asking for "spring wire" but why not just go to your
nearest real hardware store and look in the hardware section where they have
the boxes of specialty bolts, etc. They should have a big box with about
every size spring you could think of already made up. We have such a
selection at the Sears Hardware store I work at and I believe Ace or True
Value would also.
Tom

Rick

"meirman" wrote in message
news
What sort of store should I go to to buy wire to make my own spring?

I only need one.

I take out the springs from everything I scrap, and I have 3
half-pound margerine containers full, and I often have the right

one,
but not this time. I need about 2 feet of 1 mm or less spring wire.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

This might help...

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:02:49 GMT "Tom"
posted:

"meirman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a difference between a Sears store and a Sears Hardware
store. If so, I don't think any of the latter is around here.

I've never noticed this kind of detailed hardware at Sears. They have
a lot of good tools and a regular amount of hinges, and some smaller
stuff, but what can I say, I've never seen either bolts or specialty
bolts.

I needed a spring to hold my bathtub drain in the open position, and I
looked for that at an Ace Hardware. They had lots of springs, but
none was quite right. Too small to go around the base, or too big to
stay in place. Finally I went back to my own spring supply and used
one too thin to last the 24 years that the first spring lasted. I
figure it will still last 10 years, and I'll worry about it then. In
fact, I did later find repair parts for the drain control at Home
Depot. I couldn't buy just the spring, but I could by just the plate,
the lever, and the spring. Prior to that I had looked in one plumbing
section and found only the entire assembly, with the pipes, the drain
hole and screen. I didn't find the plumbing repair section until
later.

I think I asked about springs at Home Depot also and they had little
to show me. After I had looked. I've tried to look at every item in
every aisle, to know what every hardware store I go to would have..

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Edwin Pawlowski

"meirman" wrote in message

Is there a difference between a Sears store and a Sears Hardware
store. If so, I don't think any of the latter is around here.

Yes. Teh Sears Harsware carries a very extensive line of tools,
miscellaneous parts, fasteners, gadgets for house repairs, etc. They have
paint, appliances, lawn equipment. The do NOT have clothing, furniture,
etc.

I think I asked about springs at Home Depot also and they had little
to show me. After I had looked. I've tried to look at every item in
every aisle, to know what every hardware store I go to would have..

You will find a good selection of springs at www.mcmaster.com but they may
have a minimum order.. You'd have a far better chance of finding something
similar and cutting it than trying to find the piece of spring steel of the
size and temper you need and forming one.

Waldo

Tom wrote:

"meirman" wrote in message
news
What sort of store should I go to to buy wire to make my own spring?

Go to a hobby shop and ask for music wire. It is spring steel and is
available there from 1/32" up to probably 1/4' dia. It is commonly
used for model aircraft.