Dwight News

Default Oxalic Acid

I am refinishing a canoe paddle and would like to use oxalic acid on the
dark spots.

1. Can I still use the acid I have had for 25 years?

2. What proportion should I mix with water?

Many thanks.

Dwight Gibb
tom

Does this paddle have some special significance in your life? Yes, you
can use the oxalic acid you've had for 25 years. It'll work just fine.
But don't thank me, as I don't know the proportion to which you should
mix it down. Tom

Dwight News

tom wrote:
Does this paddle have some special significance in your life? Yes, you
can use the oxalic acid you've had for 25 years. It'll work just fine.
But don't thank me, as I don't know the proportion to which you should
mix it down. Tom

Yes, it is a fine paddle - Clement of Quebec - ash spline and softwood
outside. It is amazing how many terrible canoe paddles are in use, and
how much better a good one is. I am embarrassed to say that I have
refinished it only one or two times.

To respond to others - I have used oxalic acid in the past to remove
black areas. But perhaps some other products are better.

Thanks for the help.
Andy Hill

Dwight News wrote:
I am refinishing a canoe paddle and would like to use oxalic acid on the
dark spots.

1. Can I still use the acid I have had for 25 years?

Shouldn't be a problem.

2. What proportion should I mix with water?

Usually you just make a saturated solution. Start with hot water, and
dissolve as many crystals as you can (stirring until your arms are sore helps).
As the water cools, you'll get a bit of precipitate...no big deal.

No

Oxalic Acid IS wood bleach.

wrote in message
I dont know about proportions, but I see no reason it should be bad if
it was sealed for 25 years.

You might be able to google some info on the web.

I'm curious, is the paddle wood? Does this acid remove dark spots and
why? I'd think bleach would do that too. Just a guess !!!

Mark

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:19:39 GMT, Dwight News
wrote:

I am refinishing a canoe paddle and would like to use oxalic acid on the
dark spots.

1. Can I still use the acid I have had for 25 years?

2. What proportion should I mix with water?

Many thanks.

Dwight Gibb

Duane Bozarth

Dwight News wrote:

I am refinishing a canoe paddle and would like to use oxalic acid on the
dark spots.

1. Can I still use the acid I have had for 25 years?

2. What proportion should I mix with water?

What will dissolve--usual crystals takes somewhere on the order of 10-12
oz/gal hot water...