DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How much to put in a lawn (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/118605-how-much-put-lawn.html)

[email protected] August 26th 05 02:07 PM

How much to put in a lawn

About to get CO for my new home and (of course) the I don't have a lawn
yet. I want to hold back an amount equal to the cost of hiring someone
to do it for me. I've got an acre with about 3/4 of an acre that will
be lawn. Can anyone ballpark how much that would be? I guess someone
would have to come in with a york rake and get the large stone/crud out
and then seed it.

[email protected] August 26th 05 08:01 PM

Can anyone ballpark how much that would be? I guess someone
would have to come in with a york rake and get the large stone/crud out
and then seed it.

Get a couple of estimates from some local outfits and pick the highest
one. That will add legitamacy to your claim and show dilegence on your
part if the contractor is backing out on his obligation to provide your
home a lawn.

York rake, scrape removal, topsoil, seed, straw... could be at least a
few thousand. Your jaw might drop at the cost of the grass seed alone.

Edwin Pawlowski August 27th 05 01:02 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
About to get CO for my new home and (of course) the I don't have a lawn
yet. I want to hold back an amount equal to the cost of hiring someone
to do it for me. I've got an acre with about 3/4 of an acre that will
be lawn. Can anyone ballpark how much that would be? I guess someone
would have to come in with a york rake and get the large stone/crud out
and then seed it.

Between $200 and $5,000. Maybe more if grading is needed. Talk to a local
pro as you did not give enough information as to what all is needed.

Duane Bozarth August 27th 05 04:48 PM

wrote:

About to get CO for my new home and (of course) the I don't have a lawn
yet. I want to hold back an amount equal to the cost of hiring someone
to do it for me. I've got an acre with about 3/4 of an acre that will
be lawn. Can anyone ballpark how much that would be? I guess someone
would have to come in with a york rake and get the large stone/crud out
and then seed it.

How much do you have? :)

Phisherman August 27th 05 04:50 PM

On 26 Aug 2005 06:07:43 -0700, wrote:

About to get CO for my new home and (of course) the I don't have a lawn
yet. I want to hold back an amount equal to the cost of hiring someone
to do it for me. I've got an acre with about 3/4 of an acre that will
be lawn. Can anyone ballpark how much that would be? I guess someone
would have to come in with a york rake and get the large stone/crud out
and then seed it.

Lots of "depends." You definately need to remove the stones. You
could pay kids $3 per bucket of rocks. Take a few samples of soil to
have them analyzed (~$20), and apply lime and fertilizer ($100) if
needed. Till in two truckloads of compost ($200). Find out the kind
of lawn grass that grows best in your area. Buy quality seed ($200)
and straw ($50). You may need to buy a spreader, hose and sprinkler
(~$100). Add all this up, and add $500 for labor to get a ballpark
figure for a service company--perhaps $1000 to $1500 is about right.

Kiwanda August 31st 05 03:14 AM

wrote in news:1125061663.518699.198220
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

About to get CO for my new home and (of course) the I don't have a

lawn
yet. I want to hold back an amount equal to the cost of hiring

someone
to do it for me. I've got an acre with about 3/4 of an acre that

will
be lawn.

Why in god's name would you want that much grass??? Have a football
team in the house? Or a mower fetish? Aside from the work in
maintaining it, planting that much monoculture creates close to zero
quality habitat for anything other than lawn bugs and robins. Why not
plant something native to the area that will require no work to
maintain? No water, no fertilizer, no mowing-- and will replace some
of the habitat your house has taken?

Huge lawns are a waste of space and resources.

-gus