Default Clicking (maybe knocking) Water Heater during use

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some professional advice. We have a
water heater, it's:

- Not new, about 4 years old
- Electric (two heating elements)
- Big enough for our 4 member family, so it's not a mini model
- Located in the garage
- NOT connected to a water softener (we live in indiana, really hard
water here, it's on our list of things to buy)
- Been drained once in the last three months to replace a bad element,
but no solvents/vinegar used to dissolve calcium or anything

Recently I heard a sound coming from the water heater DURING USE,
perhaps from near the top. It's not as violent as a knock may sound,
but I don't know how to tell the difference between a knock and a
click! So it's one of the two. The sound does not seem to happen after
use, only during.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of draining the tank tonight by turning
off power, cutting cold water supply, opening a hot water tap while
connecting a hose to the bottom valve of the water heater, then after
the pressure is gone opening the value to drain the liquid & loose
calcium deposits. But do you think this will help?

Any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!

brad

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

In my experience you have calcium build up in your tank. My old tank did the
same. I went to drain it and found it would not drain. I replaced it and
found the tank 1/4 full of calcium. This water heater was part of a home I
just purchased.
Draining is a good idea. It might help some. Guessing here you do not flush
the tank regularly.

If it drains slowly, even with the temp/pressure valve open. There could be
a lot of calcium buildup. Might be time to run it into the dirt and be
thinking of a new one some day

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Recently I heard a sound coming from the water heater DURING USE,
perhaps from near the top. It's not as violent as a knock may sound,
but I don't know how to tell the difference between a knock and a
click! So it's one of the two. The sound does not seem to happen after
use, only during.

As you drain out the hot water, cold water is replacing it. You can get
some noise from the expansion/contraction that takes place as well as the
two waters mixing.

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM