Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Robert11

Default New Service Box Questions

Hello:

Will be contacting a few local contractors in the area to put in a new
Service Box for us, as our present one is about 30 years old. Present
capacity is 100 amps; imagine 150 or 200 would be adequate. I have 2
central A/C's, though, in house (the split type with the condensers outside)

Before I do, would like to learn a bit more about what is involved.

I guess my main questions a

- What do I want to ask him ?

- What do I want to be sure to get ?

- GFCI's and ArcFault breakers (good idea; for where ?)

- whole house Surge Protector ? What brand and type ?

- Brands, and which to avoid ?

- etc.

Wandering around HD, it seems that a new 200 amp box, loaded up, should be
no more than about $250.
Think I can get a "good" installation for $1,000 or so ? (Boston area)

Any thoughts on what to be sure to discuss with him would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob