miamicuse

Default How to refinish wood ceiling?

A property I am considering to buy has a wood ceiling everywhere. The house
is two stories and must be 10' each story, so the low point of the ceiling
is 20 feet at the edge and goes up another 8 or 10 feet to the top of the
ridge. The entire ceiling is lined with some kind of unfunished wood, color
and texture reminds me of cedar in ski lodges, but this is in Miami so I am
not sure what it is, may be rose wood may be something else. These wood
planks have water marks on them...those that looked like there was a leak
from the roof and then dried up. Don't know if there is any mold, but these
water marks I would say is in over 50% of the area and the house is over
3000 SF. On top is galvanized steel roof that is probably original (built
1974) and nearing the end of it's life span.

The roof has to be redone for sure. But the wood ceiling would be cost
prohibitive to replace. Can it be salvaged? If there is not rot (and that
is a big if), can it be sanded down to get rid of the water mark or the
water marks are usually more than skin deep?

How can one sand/finish a ceiling 30 feet above anyways? Most of the
ceiling is open to the ground floor with the upstair more like a loft
landing.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Harry K

Mike G wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

An interesting problem. The word paint comes immediately to mind.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net

Yep, with a good sealer for the stains first. Sounds like a need for a
small manlift if it can be gotten in or a whole bunch of scaffolding.
That is another reason why I will not even look at a house with a
cathedral ceiling.

Harry K

John Keiser

Sand blasting [carefully] is a possibility if a very open grain look is
acceptable.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John Keiser, Kevin West wrote:
john.keiser2 wrote:

Sand blasting [carefully] is a possibility if a very open grain look is
acceptable.

I have to agree, sandblasting while dusty and loud is the most effective
way to do such a large surface area.

### micro-FAQ on wood # 041 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 22nd 05 10:35 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 034 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 March 20th 05 02:47 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 012 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 1 June 15th 04 01:04 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 011 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 3rd 04 06:48 AM