Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
phaeton

Default oh gawd, here we go....

Getting a home inspection today on a house that we would like to buy.
We're first time home buyers, and it's an old house (1898) 2.5 acres, a
barn and some sheds. The house looks like it's been very well
maintained over the years, was completely remodeled on the inside
around 1984 or so (according to buyer legend), but I'm not a home
inspector. In fact, i have the handy-man sort of mentality but no real
experience. Looks like i'm gonna gain some real quick, and I'm kinda
looking forward to it .

I see some stuff already that needs attention, which is of course
expected. It's all little things and I'm fine with that. I was hoping
that the home inspector will be able to find anything MAJOR that i just
don't have an eye for, but searching through this NG about home
inspectors i don't get a really warm, fuzzy feeling about their
abilities. By "MAJOR" i'm talking safety and structural issues. I'm
especially paranoid about old wiring. Buyer legend states that the
house was gutted and completely rewired top to bottom in the 1984
remodeling. There is a fairly modern-looking breaker box in the house,
there are plenty of outlets everywhere and they're all 3-prong.. No
GFI outlets in kitchens or bathrooms, and there are a few light
fixtures in closets and a chandelier that look like they haven't been
touched in about 50-70 years.

I suppose I can get the water tested for lead. I went into the
basement and looked at some pipes there but I honestly can't tell what
they're made of. I didn't have a magnet to check if they were iron or
lead. They look cast and they're shiny black. I see some PVC down
there too. I'm of the mind where I'd probably buy a kit and test it at
home, and then send a sample to a local lab for a second opinion.

Walls are purported to be 16" concrete all the way up. They are 16"
thick for sure, and concrete on the outside for sure, but it wouldn't
surprise me if there is some brick or stone block underneath and it's
just been 'resurfaced' or something. One corner of the wall has a
series of really gnarly cracks that go from ground to about the middle
of the 2nd floor. A trusted and respected handyman of mine looked at
the cracks and at first said he was a bit concerned about them, but
then looked at the inside of the basement and said they don't go all
they way through so they're nothing to worry about. How would you fix
a concrete wall if he's wrong? Fill the crack and hope it doesn't
crumble? Knock it out and repour it, and hope you don't knock the
whole house down in the process? Sounds like a major undertaking....

Like anyone else that's ever bought a house, i'm doing all the "what
if? what if? what if?" stuff...

Anyways....

I'd appreciate any suggestions on things to look for in the wake of a
home inspector. I know that there is so much stuff to name, and it's
hard to do without actually being there to see the house firsthand, but
any comment, question or discouragement is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Phaeton