Bob Amend

Default Starting Generator

I've got a Homeline generator with a 8 hp B&S engine. I've been
trying to get the engine started but have not had luck. I've drained
the old gas and replaced. It's getting spark. When I take the air
filter off and spray engine starting fluid, the engine cranks up but
seems to shut right back down. I've got oil in it. Any suggestions?
TIA
RBM

If it has been sitting for a long time the fuel turns to a jelly like
substance which often clogs the carburetor jets and causes the carburetor
float to stick in the closed position. If you are able, try opening the carb
and cleaning it. If it's a stuck float, sometimes a sharp bang on the side
of it will free it

"Bob Amend" wrote in message
I've got a Homeline generator with a 8 hp B&S engine. I've been
trying to get the engine started but have not had luck. I've drained
the old gas and replaced. It's getting spark. When I take the air
filter off and spray engine starting fluid, the engine cranks up but
seems to shut right back down. I've got oil in it. Any suggestions?
TIA

Paul Franklin

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:38:39 GMT, Bob Amend
wrote:

I've got a Homeline generator with a 8 hp B&S engine. I've been
trying to get the engine started but have not had luck. I've drained
the old gas and replaced. It's getting spark. When I take the air
filter off and spray engine starting fluid, the engine cranks up but
seems to shut right back down. I've got oil in it. Any suggestions?
TIA

Has it been sitting a while with gas in the carb? More than likely
the fuel passages in the carb are gummed up. Disassemble the carb and
clean out all the fine passages with carb cleaner.

To avoid in the future, don't use the kill switch to stop the genny.
Turn off the gas and let it run until it uses up all the fuel in the
bowl and carb. And consider using Stabil in the gas.

HTH,

Paul

Stormin Mormon

Some generators have a low oil shutoff. Make sure the oil is full -- so that
the dipstick shows the oil to the full line. Might want to change the oil,
drain the old out and fill it up. My 10 HP generator took 28 ounces. I threw
in the full quart, and it ran fine.

The generator was a champ until it wouldn't start one time. A "helpful"
neighbor of my Dad's sprayed ether into the spark plug hole. Dried the oil
out of the cylinder, and siezed it up. Ether is OK if sprayed onto the air
filter. Which I've done as needed over the years. Ether in the spark plug
hole is instant death.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Bob Amend" wrote in message
I've got a Homeline generator with a 8 hp B&S engine. I've been
trying to get the engine started but have not had luck. I've drained
the old gas and replaced. It's getting spark. When I take the air
filter off and spray engine starting fluid, the engine cranks up but
seems to shut right back down. I've got oil in it. Any suggestions?
TIA

Bob Vaughan

wrote:

I've got a Homeline generator with a 8 hp B&S engine. I've been
trying to get the engine started but have not had luck. I've drained
the old gas and replaced. It's getting spark. When I take the air
filter off and spray engine starting fluid, the engine cranks up but
seems to shut right back down. I've got oil in it. Any suggestions?
TIA

Has it been sitting a while with gas in the carb? More than likely
the fuel passages in the carb are gummed up. Disassemble the carb and
clean out all the fine passages with carb cleaner.

To avoid in the future, don't use the kill switch to stop the genny.
Turn off the gas and let it run until it uses up all the fuel in the
bowl and carb. And consider using Stabil in the gas.

Speaking of turning off the gas, did you make sure the fuel valve is open?

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --