Sherman

Default How do I gethome?

Ok,
I'm wondering exactly how I get home.

I undock and back away from temporary lodging, which, by the way, is
traveling about 17,500 mph and is about 220 miles above my
destination.

Do I fire my rockets to blast my way back down?

Does that take much fuel? How many horse power?

How long does it take?

FDR

"Sherman" wrote in message

Ok,
I'm wondering exactly how I get home.

I undock and back away from temporary lodging, which, by the way, is
traveling about 17,500 mph and is about 220 miles above my
destination.

Do I fire my rockets to blast my way back down?

Does that take much fuel? How many horse power?

How long does it take?

Whatever you do, please slather some barbecue sauce on yourself first.

Steve

"Sherman" wrote in message

Ok,
I'm wondering exactly how I get home.

I undock and back away from temporary lodging, which, by the way, is
traveling about 17,500 mph and is about 220 miles above my
destination.

Do I fire my rockets to blast my way back down?

Does that take much fuel? How many horse power?

How long does it take?

Not REALLY home repair related, but you can ask the experts he

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/faq/

Steve
Huntsville, AL

Yes...I am a rocket scientist - but for the other kind that go BOOM on
purpose!

Sherman wrote:
Ok,
I'm wondering exactly how I get home.

I undock and back away from temporary lodging, which, by the way, is
traveling about 17,500 mph and is about 220 miles above my
destination.

I assume that you mean you are in the space shuttle orbiting the earth
and you have recently undocked from the space station?

Do I fire my rockets

Yes.

to blast my way back down?

No, you fire your rockets to slow down your forward velocity. Gravity
pulls you back down into the atmosphere and air friction slows you the
rest of the way down as you fall.

Does that take much fuel?

Hmmm, "much fuel"? Not very quantitative.
It doesn't take nearly as much fuel as getting up if that helps.

How many horse power?

Again this is a very vague question. Calculate the energy necessary to
slow the space shuttle from 17,500 mph to zero. Add to this the
potential energy the space shuttle has because it is 220 miles above.
Divide this amount of energy by the time of decent and you will have
average horsepower. Please note that only a small amount of this
horsepower is provided by the space shuttle boosters.

Mikepier

I think Dean hit it right on the money. I would just like to add take
into account the drag coefficient for the earths atmosphere on re-entry
will exponentially increase for every mile of descent. Just factor this
into your equation and you should be fine.

Mikepier

I see the drag coefficient formula worked. Good Job! Welcome Home!

Sherman

Thanks guys.

I made it home fine with your help.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:14:47 GMT, Sherman
wrote:

Ok,
I'm wondering exactly how I get home.

I undock and back away from temporary lodging, which, by the way, is
traveling about 17,500 mph and is about 220 miles above my
destination.

Do I fire my rockets to blast my way back down?

Does that take much fuel? How many horse power?

How long does it take?

Mikepier

Just in case, here's something for your next trip:

http://www.columbiassacrifice.com/su...ntry_param.htm