John Smith

Default Workbench Vise

Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.
Pop

"John Smith" wrote in message
Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm
right-handed.

Which side feels best to you? I ended up with one on
each end, plus a pipe vise on another bench.

HTH,
Pop

Roger Taylor

"John Smith" wrote in message
Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

I use two vises; for cutting wood, a carpenter's vise flush with the top of
the bench, on the right corner, and a top mounted standard machinists vise
about a foot in from the right corner, so it doesnt interfere with the wood
vise. Both are essential for me, and for right handed folks, having the
vices on the right are a real convenience.

Phisherman

I have two workbenches, one carpenter and the the other machinist.
Both vises are mounted on the left because there is more space all
around there. Makes no difference that I'm right-handed.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:38:09 GMT, John Smith wrote:

Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

I R Baboon

OMG ive seen it all now. but while im on this post....were should i put my
couch? left or right side of room?
"John Smith" wrote in message
Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

Bennett Price

FWIW, as a righty I find it more convenient to have the vise on the
right, so that the stub of a long piece is sticking out beyond the bench.

Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

fish

Just make sure you put it on the top of the workbench, i think
everything else will work itself out.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:38:09 GMT, John Smith wrote:

Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:11:14 GMT "I R Baboon"
posted:

OMG ive seen it all now. but while im on this post....were should i put my
couch? left or right side of room?

Do you ever lie back on it? Are you right-headed or left-headed?

"John Smith" wrote in message
Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Erik

John Smith wrote:
Left side or Right side of the Workbench? I'm right-handed.

I'm right handed and like the right side for the same reason.

Be sure to mount the vice so it's fixed jaw hangs slightly beyond the
front edge of the bench, and if possible off the end edge too when
swiveled.

This simple act makes the vise much more versatile, in that long
material can hang down past the bench edge if necessary.

Erik

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
C & M

Interesting. I find it nice as a righty to have the vise on the left. Only
because that's where all the vises were in the shop in high school and it
just 'feels right'.

. ..