DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Built-in microwave oven temp sensor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/115586-built-microwave-oven-temp-sensor.html)

[email protected] July 30th 05 09:03 PM

Built-in microwave oven temp sensor

My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

--

FF

Art Todesco July 30th 05 09:26 PM

Funny this appeared just now. A few
minutes ago, the microwave
was cooking and apparently (don't really
know) was programmed
with way too large time. Anyway the
food burned. I stopped the
oven with no problem. Everything seemed
ok, however, after about
5 minutes I heard a click and the
display blanked out. Everything
right now, is still hot. Do high
temperature sensors self reset? This
is a GE Profile built in.

Appliance Repair Aid July 30th 05 09:36 PM

wrote:
My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

--

FF

Hi,

Model#?
Kenmore is made by several different companies....

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html
Some model# helps.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

For the most part yes, not a sensor but there will be a couple of
overheat thermostats and oftne is a flame switch as well as the fuse.

These might help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/micro3.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/nuker.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Ross Mac July 30th 05 11:59 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

--

FF

IF you have a blown fuse make sure to get an exact replacement...then make
certain that the waveguide covers are in tact...some microwaves have
cardboard covers and they get removed/ damaged during cleaning which allows
moisture into the waveguide ....well the the fuse blows...If you have
plastic ones perhaps they are cracked?....just a thought....good luck ,
Ross

Art Todesco July 31st 05 12:34 AM

Too answer my own post, I removed the
microwave from its built in wood
cabinet and attempted to remove the
metal "jacket." They used Torx screws
with a non-tamper post in the middle of
the screw. I then drilled out a Torx
bit, but had to heat it up to remove the
temper. Once I had the tool, it was
easy. There was an envelope inside with
a schematic and a troubleshooting
guide. I found an open sensor. They
call it a "flame sensor," which senses
the temperatue of the top metal ceiling
of the oven. The document said it
was a non-resettable sensor. Until the
appliance parts place opens on
Monday, there is now a piece of metal
bypassing it. I know, we will NOT
let it run unattended like today until
the sensor is replaced.

[email protected] July 31st 05 11:01 AM

wrote:

My mom's Kenmore built-in microwave oven die recently.

My understanding is that the two common causes of
microwave oven failure are a blown fuse and and a
failed high-temperature sensor.

Didn't see a fuse in this one, though maybe there is
one way in the back, would a built-in typically have
a separate fuse or just rely on the house circuit breaker
like most other appliances?

I removed the temperature sensor from the top of
the oven. This is the high-temp safety switch, not
the food temperature sensor. Am I correct to
assume that if it is functional it will be normally closed?

As they say on the net, thanks in advance.

--

FF

If repair efforts fail or are a big hassle be aware that prices have
fallen drastically.

Lou